Author Topic: Insuring your classic AND modern on the same policy?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Isleofmanfan

• View Profile
Insuring your classic AND modern on the same policy?
« on: December 20, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »
Any suggestions where to insure my classic AND modern on the same policy, the company i`m with won`t insure the CB175  ???

Are club discounts, VJMC/Honda OC, worth paying the joining fee to obtain insurance discount?

All the best of the season btw  ;)

Mike.
"Don`t wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing!"

Barry Sheene.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Insuring your classic AND modern on the same policy?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:20:12 PM »
Carole Nash insure my Tiger 1050, CB900FZ and 500/4 all on one policy.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
Depending on the modernity of the modern, Lynnbrooke might be worth a shot, I have 3 bikes ranging from a '95 rebel 125, a '97 250 nighthawk, and my '74 500/4. All insured for me, the wife or my dad to ride any combo of the above, but I think they cap classic as being 15 years old so all qualify.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 12:23:37 AM »
I've looked at classic insurance for my bike and found normal insurance as cheap if not cheaper. None of those silly mileage restrictions too. Maybe it's where I live.   ::)
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:04:18 AM »
I'm with Footman James, with 3 bikes on one policy, a '72 CB750, a '77 400F and a 2011 MotoGuzzi Griso 1200.
At renewal this year I rung around & couldn't better the quote & so stayed with 'em.  Only bollocks is that the premium does not reduce each year with no claims...
Simon.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 12:52:57 PM »
My best quote this year was just a tad over £50 with the post office. What you must put to any insurance company is "I can only ride one bike at a time".Insurance is down to risk,and the best security is a mad dog in the garage at night but insurance company's will not except. Best advice, have a good look around and don't let them sell you something you don't want.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
In my case (Footman James) the bulk of the bloody questions are about the garaging (brick, attached, pointy roof, blah blah blah) and then the alarm / immobiliser systems on the bikes. Very little interest in mileage / year, experience it seems.... implying (to me) their main concern is the machines being nicked, and little to do with "I can only ride one at a time". (which I guess also explains the lack of no-claims discount offering)

That said I didn't know the PO offered Old + New policies & will give them a try at renewal in March.

Oh, and by the way, (opening post / Isleofmanfan), joining the Honda Club was well worth the subsequent discount.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:44:08 PM by Lobo »

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 07:46:17 PM »
All my bikes are insured with Bankstone unfortunately with limited mileage but I never seem to find time to use them anyway. :(
They appear to be a good company as they recently thought my corner with a recent claim.

Mick   
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline pptom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:01:54 AM »
I'm with Footman James too. 5 bikes on the policy (2 x modern), just before renewal in the summer a previous owners club membership ran out - renewal price was about £350 (and they wouldn't even think about insuring my KTM as it was high theft risk). Joined the Triumph owners club for £20 and renewal dropped to £190, KTM included no problem?!?!?
Well worth checking which owners clubs they recognise and joining one for double benefits of owners club perks and a hefty discount.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »
I'm with Footman/James and would agree with Lobo
2 No. classic Honda's which I've for 3/5 years. Bought a new Honda CB1100 March 2013.
I had no problem adding the new bike to the policy, but as previous posts it must be in a brick/cement garage, locked/alarmed...car parked in front of the garage door...etc.
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal