Author Topic: Rubber softening  (Read 1289 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Rubber softening
« on: December 30, 2013, 01:48:36 AM »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Rubber softening
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:11:12 AM »
Any idea of where i can get this stuff, and is it expensive?
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 02:17:24 PM »
If you mean Reofos 50, Give me a bit of time to treat all of the rubbers on my bike and then I will send you some of mine Pete. It may be difficult to get but I have a 'source' of it ;)
Don't know about the 'Wintergreen' - probably an alternative in UK, gather it's in Deep Heat ointment!

Found it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wintergreen-Essential-Oil-100-Pure-50ml-/320928369532?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Natural_AlternativeTherapies&hash=item4ab8d24b7c

Cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:25:49 PM »
Thanks ash, i looked for the reofos 50 but it it seems like its only available to big industry in large quantity's
As for the winter green i am not to sure if the stuff works, i know acetone on its own softens them up nicely but it is short lived and the rubber goes hard again within a couple of months
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »
No worries Pete. From SOHC4.net US site I think the wintergreen in mixed with xylene. The xylene is absorbed into the rubber taking the wintergreen essential oil with it. The xylene then evaporates off leaving the wintergreen inside the rubber. I found out about Reofos from a chemist guy who works as a link between our local university and industry and worked in the rubber industry for 20 years.
Will PM you when it's available. Then when you have finished with it pass it on to another member if you like.

Cheers AshD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal