Author Topic: What is the best? ultrasonic or vapour blast  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
What is the best? ultrasonic or vapour blast
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:50:35 AM »
Everyone keeps saying that ultrasonic is the best for carb cleaning. My local classic engineering firm (T&L engineering,Bedford) don't have ultrasonic cleaning,only vapour blasting. I have used T&L for some 25 years and i am very happy with the results.  Has anyone ever used both methods and was the results any different?.

ka-ja

Re: What is the best? ultrasonic or vapour blast
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:28:03 AM »
Hi,
    Ultrasonic will dissolve anything that will dissolve in hidden places such as blind galleries etc. as the action continually "explodes" the liquid in minute bubbles, however it will struggle with blockages that will not saturate with the liquid being used.
    Vapour blastings main drawback is that it only works where it can be directed and it can force dirt etc deeper into blanked off galleries and compact it.
    Vapour blasting is superb for items that have no small drilled galleries where the blasting cannot reach, so blast the outside and other parts, and use a sonic bath for clearing the drilled galleries and dead ends, best of both worlds.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
Cheers Ka-Ja, that does seem logical. I have had heads vapour blasted with great results. It seems gone are the days of sand blasting, then trying to get every grain out of every oil way, putting it back together and keeping your fingers crossed.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:10:29 PM »
Vapour blasting is very good for the likes of alloy castings, but is pretty expensive. Have used Stotfold Engineering at Biggleswade, but think I have found someone more localn who may do it for cash.
Have also used grit blasting in my little cabinet and it works very well with a bit of patience. Lots of careful masking required though.

Ka-Ja is spot on with his comments re carbs though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal