Author Topic: Petrol Tank  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Petrol Tank
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:22:27 AM »
Advice guys please.I have been on the look out for a spare tank for sometime,Managed to find one apart from a couple of small dents its in very good condition.Want I want to know is inside there is just a couple of rust spots no bigger than a 50 pence piece what do guys use to get these off?This tank makes mine inside look like its come of the bottom of the sea.Also its been drained recently to post but inside its not what I call a petroley smell.do not regonise this could it be methonel residue?As always all advice appreciated.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Petrol Tank
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »
Hi Bitsa petrol doesn't smell like petrol used to if you get what I mean, as for tank cleaning I've not used anything myself apart from a few nuts and bolts and some petrol, and swish it around then rinse it, there's probably some chemical out there that will work ok for you  ;) cheers Mick.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
Cheers Mick,
I have heard of all sorts of things like wash out with coke etc the list goes on and on.At the mo my mate is going to make me a small wire brush on an extended bar so I can get it to the spots which are excessiable from filler cap.As I will not be using it in the near future after(if) this works do I keep it full of fuel or keep it dry stored in the house?
Cheers
mate
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »
Any acid will do - there are cheaper alternatives than Coke!

Store it in either a warm, dry room or keep it topped up with fuel (and use a stabiliser), just not in a cold, damp garage!

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
Wow all this talk about acid and coke takes me back LOL!

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 07:07:59 PM »
Thanks to all you guys as Steve recommends a warm dry room its now already in there with my exhaust pipes.
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:50:58 AM »
There is a method of shifting internal corrosion using electrolysis. Not too difficult to set up and it is pretty effective, I will post it if there is any interest. may even be able to find the original link to where I found it.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »
Seamus,
All is appreciated mate
Cheers
Bitsa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal