Author Topic: David Silver Rims  (Read 5437 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
David Silver Rims
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
David Silver sells DID rims and also some cheaper ones. Anyone know if the cheaper ones are any good? Which ones does he use on his restorations?

Cheers

AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: David Silver Rims
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 01:12:41 PM »
I have heard some very bad things about the cheaper rims on the us forum, however you can find bad reviews on just about anything these days, i just wish i could point you in the direction of the post i read as it was an eye opener
pete

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:24:57 PM »
Yep, the cheap ones are like the Chinese type and only last a couple of years. I resorted a 400/4 with a DID on the rear and a Chinese on the front. The seller gave me the invoice to prove he had had the front replaced. The DID was sill in good condition, but the front rim was rusted through.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »
If you want good rim's, go for CWC British chrome. They will set you back about 100 a rim, but are well worth the money.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »
I bought a non-oe front rim 10+ years ago from Silver. The finish isn't as good as Honda as you can see sort of brushstrokes through the chrome if you look close enough. Fine if you just look at the bike normally though and a hell of a lot cheaper than original. 

I've just wiped the WD40 off for these pics. The closeups make them look bad when they aren't really.
Oh, mine is Japanese. I see no signs of rust.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:56:43 PM by LesterPiglet »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 04:16:33 PM »
The ones he is selling currently are made by Union Cycle. They are described by DSS as being

"A high quality replacement rim, offering an alternative to the original which is no longer available.
Why go to the effort of re-chroming your old rim, when you can now replace with new, much cheaper and with no compromise on quality!"

Shame if he is selling poor quality, I always thought they only stocked decent stuff or NOS Honda.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 04:59:54 PM »
Referred DSS to this page on Facebook. If I get a reply I will post here.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
Maybe this is it Pete

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114368.msg1353625#msg1353625
Yep that was the one Ash, the guy took good pictures and described in detail all the flaws and problems, it seems that they are a total waste of time
pete

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »
Or avoid possible poor chrome and steel issues and get stainless rims and spokes.
They look the part although are not quite as bright or shiny .... But they don't rust either
 ;D

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Hi Guys.
On all the wheels I have had supplied and built has been done by a guy by brands hatch.For the life of me can not remember who he is (had some sherbet now) but if you ring Barneys bikes of Chatham Kent he has the number.Good stuff and I think a damm good price supplied and fitted.Not DID stuff but stainless etc megga happy with him
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »
Lester, i do not think DSS does Takasago rim's anymore. Nice picture's of your CB550F.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »
Thanks trigger.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 09:22:33 PM »
Nice engine lester, but what is with those strange tappet cap's? Is there any reason or just for show?. Looks nice though.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 09:56:46 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean. My tappet caps are standard.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal