Author Topic: Tools recomendation  (Read 2010 times)

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Tools recomendation
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »
Hello,
My Honda is first proper bike I'm working on my self, I do have a bunch of tools but all a rather cheap crappy ones, good for rounding nuts rather then undoing them...
Time to tool up! on a budget...  :'(

I keep reading about Halfords Advanced Pro any cons ?

Many thanks
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tools recomendation
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:30:35 PM »
Hi Bomber buy the best you can afford, you don't have to get mega expensive tools to get decent ones, probably a decent socket set, and a screwdriver set to begin with  ;), others will be along soon to add there ideas cheers  ;) Mick.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:37:15 PM »
 Mick, don't forget a big hammer :).

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:54:24 PM »
Inpact driver, spend about £10. Socket set, I have a sealey pro set at a good promotional price, they'll even get rounded cylinder head nuts undone and have a duo metric set so the inperial sizes are covered - I didn't intend to play with old brit iron when I bought my set but it has since proved usefull. 3/8 drive for a honda. Don't buy cheap torque wrenches, My draper will happily snap or strip every 6mm bolt it is used on without going click once.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:05:28 PM »
Why don't Draper torque bars ever go click? Some family member got me one for my birthday, didn't have the heart to tell them the truth. So its sat in the bottom of my tool box for the last 11 year's.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:12:59 PM »
Hi Bomber
I served my time as an engineer and worked in aero industry with all the top make tools.  I bought some Halfords Pro range several years ago and rate them - think they've got lifetime guarantee too
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:08:56 AM »
a 6 inch long spanner size 10mm and a spring balance is a cheap but effective alternative to spending out £££ on a torque wrench. by the time you are up to 8mm bolt diameter (m12 or 13 spanners) then a draper torque wrench is ok. to be honest I tend to go by feel on everything appart from cylinder heads now and spend a lot less time with the helicoil kit as a result, or mopping up oil spills for that matter. I learnt a lot doing up some really and truly knackered engines on the cheap, got quite good milages out of warmed over scrap metal by mixing and matching the least knackered bits. It's one way to learn. Cheap transport is how I got into the sohc fours, funny to see them regarded as classics now -it may be how I saw them in some ways but in others I think prices are a bit silly as a result.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline bytio

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 12:13:08 AM »
Halfords torque wrench ( the smaller one you will need) was tested with many others in Classic Mechanics magazine, and rated the Halfords one the best, I certainly rate it and it's essential equipment for rebuilding

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »
I was wondering lads. Can a Halfords torque wrench be calibrated? Can't find it listed by any firms that offer a calibration service.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
Any torque wrench can be callibrated but some are a lot easier to do than others

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal