Author Topic: Electric problem  (Read 9039 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Electric problem
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 02:45:47 AM »
... sounds a good explanation Oddjob.

Hadn't really picked up on that pic (of the "coil" earth) Bomber, but honestly, those Halfords crimp connectors are the pits ....  often as not a wire will just 'drop out'. Whilst you've got your bike in bits it might be a good idea to delete all such troublesome crimps & renew with quality ones or solder connections. (ie solder the wire into the connectors rather than use poor crimp)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:36:11 AM by Lobo »

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 09:44:33 AM »
Right, so you reckon buying this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-13658-5-Way-Crimping-Terminal/dp/B0001K9PBY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389173399&sr=8-2&keywords=crimping+tool
was a waist of time and money...

Please shine some light on to this, I understand that poor quality tool will not help but, is this also apply that I need to buy expensive terminals?

Regards
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Lobo
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »
...aye carrumba, seem to have put my foot in it! Sorry...

But if you're asking, then probably, yes. If they were indeed a great tool they'd be in common use commercially... seen such connections on your car / washing machine etc?

I accept a decent crimping tool, and the quality connectors to go with those are more pricey,  but in the long term a probable saving in terms of fewer failures / subsequent servicings.

These connections of yours will be subjected to bumps, vibrations, heat, moisture & so on... a recipe for premature failure. That said, no, you don't have to commit to other expensive options, you could just clean the inside of the connector terminal back to copper & solder the wire (s) in.

Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:10:12 AM by Lobo »

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
Lobo,
""Another thing is I have strange cable I suppose earth going from negative terminal all the way to ignition coil, it looks like a recent upgrade..."

.... &  gotta say, this sounds a bit odd. Are you sure it actually connects to the coils.... or as Brian says, "there ought to be a cable in the loom going to the coil BRACKETS" (this wire will be likely Green, and earthing the coil units to the frame versus directly connecting to the coils wires."

You are right, this cable is just going to the frame and and as you can see on that picture, brown cable goes to the horn.
So, that earth cable doesn't do any thing more then earths horn, which is rather strange, but the horn is new, and it looks like a bodge of a previous owner.

I'm super excited as it all slowly starting to make sense, I'm feeling more confident then ever before that I can fix my electric issues!
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 09:32:10 PM »
Oddjob, thanks so much for taking time with your explanation, I understand now what to do.
I'm about to run to garage to check size of the male blade on rectifier as I will need new females to replace riveted connections.

Finally feel that I'm making progress.
Thanks every one who contributed, there is no chance I would be able to fix my bike without this forum!
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
Oddjob i have just read the last pages of your advice. And never had i seen such a true word spoke about connectors. The Japanese type bullet connectors are out there, so why O why do people use such things as scothloks and the red/blue isolated bullets & spades? Electrics is my weak spot.  Seeing any wires with scothloks makes me more nerves.   

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 12:37:32 AM »
Whilst we are on the subject of tools. Anyone know of a suitable valve spring compressor for the 550?
I had to modify the one I had before by welding and stuff but it got lost in various house moves.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 01:11:06 AM »
If you have a pillar drill Lester i will explain tomorrow how to make a simple tool to remove collets.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 01:34:31 AM »
A hammer works.  ;D
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re:Electrical question
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 02:58:00 AM »
OddJob... thanks for helping out there... felt I'd perhaps been a little harsh on them cheap crimps.

Our problem Bomber, is that it is all too bloody easy to blow money unnecessarily on a project. We all have differing requirements / funds / skill levels... and it is a minefield working out 'what's best'. I have simply lost count of the cash I've wasted on "crap".... but then again, if I listened to every guru on his pet subject & bought his recommendations, well, I'd be broke. Somewhere in the middle generally lies the answer, and if in an area out of your comfort zone, it's perhaps best you seek multiple views versus any one. And this forum is just bloody great for that... so, keep doing what you're doing... (but beware them 'PlugChangers'!)

Furthermore, when parting with cash, you have to have a firm idea of what you want from your project...concours, excellent, work hack... or 'scrambler' for that field next door.
And is this project a one-off, or the start of many to follow?
Am I fixing one connection, or anticipate major rewiring?
Ie, invest accordingly.

Moving on, specifically to your CB550...
Oddjob suggested quality connectors....and for the sake of commonality on your CB550 can I just go one step further... ie to use 3.5mm 'old style' Honda bullet connectors versus the commonly found '3.9mm Japanese bullet connectors'. This is simply so they mate in easily to the 'bike's existing loom and thus save you the hassle of having to renew both male & female connectors. BUT BEFORE you take my word on this, PLEASE CHECK, .... (my '72 CB750 & '77 CB400F use the 3.5mm).... as I'm not sure of your 550's vintage. (simply put a caliper across widest part of male lug)
In respect of spade connectors... they're pretty standard throughout the industry.

Anyways, have a look here; I've never found these 3.5mm bullets in the UK.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/bullet-connectors.html

So, whilst 'bagging on' about electrics, if you do anticipate significant work can I recommend you treat yourself to a multimeter.... great for confirming good earths, wire continuities, 12V arriving (successfully) at the ends of wires blah blah. And all for £6 or so. (Tandy, Maplins etc)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Multimeter-XL-830L-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Ohmmeter-OHM-VOLT-Tester-uk-/301051973196

Your horn earth wire is 'standard' by the way, ie its input is switched live, through the horn... and to earth.

Not quite an indication of 'fantastic crimping'; but rather one of time & patience to get it all right / original. Note the idiot (me) who did this blew the original fuse ... bah. (I now use domestic 13A fuses when verifying circuits, and only put the genuine back once confirmed ok!)

(My CB750K2 "before & after" pics)

Good luck as always,
Simon
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:21:47 AM by Lobo »

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 07:13:03 AM »
Try looking at the ones in the link below---DON'T HAVE HEART FAILURE AT THE FIRST ONE!!!!!

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/noninscrimps.php

I have a 40 year old Ripaults crimper still in use in good nick except for the cutting jaw

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 08:23:25 AM »
Try looking at the ones in the link below---DON'T HAVE HEART FAILURE AT THE FIRST ONE!!!!!

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/noninscrimps.php

I have a 40 year old Ripaults crimper still in use in good nick except for the cutting jaw

I got on fine with MP71 from Bryans link + a wire stripper from Aldi when doing a full new loom

jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »
Ewan, I have the same crimpers and found it crimps the smaller part of the terminal fine but when I try the bigger part it ends up all miss-shapen, what was your experience?
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »
Ewan, I have the same crimpers and found it crimps the smaller part of the terminal fine but when I try the bigger part it ends up all miss-shapen, what was your experience?

found it fine for 3.9 bullets Mick ... although it did take a few to get the hang of positioning the rear end of the bullet in the crimper just right to get a good fold.... bearing in mind I was doing a full loom I got plenty pratice ;) . I'm happy that everything is secure even if some of rear end crimps aren't totally pretty. Just to be sure I put some heathshrink on too before putting the plastic sleeve on. Photo in the above post shows a bullet with heat shrink and sleeve on.

Photo here (though not that good) shows a bullet fresh out the crimper

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

and this one shows with heatshrink added, before plastic sleeve put on

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:33:15 PM by Ewan 500 K1 »
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
cheers will have to try harder!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal