Author Topic: CB750 RESTORE  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
CB750 RESTORE
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:27:20 PM »
Hi Guys,
Don't know if its a bad day but since put away for winter at the end of Nov pulled the covers off today and was shocked to see rust appearing in all places.Spent all day as its been nice today just DE dusting,rusting,chipped paint and generally polishing her up.After a couple of hours was seriously considering stripping her all down and start again.I know this place is well known for humidity dust etc but I think after 2 years of frackin about just want to ride not keep doing this crap.Is it the same for you guys in the UK? Examples throttle cables rusting springs of any sort rusting and anything previously polished after long hours looks like you have to do it again.Is it just me? All I can remember back in the days of riding in all weathers was once a month strip down wash off all and polish and away you go again.I am convinced its an age thing when your 20 or so didn't give a shit now I do.Have I answered my own question you old gits?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 RESTORE
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »
Yes Bitsa, you are a member of the old gits club, but your still not in the sad old bastards club yet. I will be there soon.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »
I much prefer to ride my CB500-4

the cleaning is an awful chore !!

but ,at £1,500 + for a set of exhausts,they need to be kept good !!

anyoffers for help ??

I find the only to get them really clean,is to remove them,and lots of Autosol ,and elbow grease !!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »
Hay Bitsa

Same thing took the cover of my bike last weekend and she was soaked completely covered in condensation.
Then I realized all the bikes were wet the paint has started to peal on the Pegaso she looks far worse than when I put her away about three years ago  :-[
The Honda's standing up to it fairly well but she does get polished regularly
The engine cases and fork lowers look a little crap but it does seem to rain every time I use it.
I think it does more damage leaving them standing then it does using them

oh and I'm not a member yet
Mick

Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
Cheers lads,
The old git club is nothing to be proud off but I really do not remember it so bad.Life begins at 40 I think not it gets tougher so you youngers frackin enjoy yourselves and go for it.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Online mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:25:24 PM »
Same up here  :'( in the grim damp north  ;) 2 bikes living under covers under my lean 2 and 2 in the shed  ;), went out in the week before Christmas on my 750 to give it a run after changing the engine got wet and the roads had been salted  :(,  I gave it a wash n hosing down when I got back, wiped it down before covering it up, couple of days later and the chain is red with rust and tight to turn the wheel, engine casings have corrosion on them from the salt  :o,

I'm not a fan of cleaning my bikes I would rather just ride them  8), but its the same every year they all need a day of cleaning and polishing, I keep mine on the road all year round in the hope that we might get a decent day or 2 in the winter to go riding  :)

so your not on your own Bitsa its the same for all of us  ;) cheers Mick the old git  :P   

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 08:30:31 PM »
Just knew you would back me up Mick cheers everyone
Bitsa

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »
Personally I find it better NOT to cover the bike, after all, moisture can get up under the cover, and the tinworms start feasting on your shiny mudguards, exhaust etc, and engine cases look like they have a bad case of mange! :( :(. Leaving it without a cover at least allows the moisture to evaporate on the odd sunny day, if it's still covered up the heat and humidity under the cover makes things far worse bin my experience ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »
Might have a very good point there Hairygit never tried that all my spares are not covered up and they seem ok.What do you other guys think?
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
Hairygit is spot on.

Online mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:03 PM »
I cover the 2 under the lean 2 up coz the cats sleep on them, and they don't wipe their muddy feet before getting on them  >:(

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 08:52:38 PM »
Mick,
Had that problem in the early years of restoring found a plastic fly swat sorted that dont do it now but agreed.
Cheers
Bitsa

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »
Cool Oddjob my old lady stores bedding etc that way in smaller versions.
Cheers
Bitsa

Online mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 11:11:07 PM »
Bikes under the lean 2 tonight ,pissing it down again and one of our moggies on my VTX  ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 06:54:43 AM »
A proper white tortie with the evil eye!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal