Author Topic: Importing a bike... the process  (Read 6466 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Importing a bike... the process
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:52 PM »
No changes finalized at the moment. The whisper is it will be around August. I know that they are trying to do away with hard tails but, not 100% sure if that will apply to trikes, bikes or what yet. You should know what the ministry are like Bryan.
 They are under attack from Europe on indicators, In most parts of Europe/ Germany a trike has to have a front indicator bar/stem the width of the trike. The UK are saying that this makes the trike dangerous to pedestrian. 

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »
Just thought I'd add my trials to this...

I'm in the middle of registering an imported cb450 at the mo.

All mot'd insured etc. (footman James seem happy to roll the insurance as long as I notify them every 2 weeks to allow for unforeseen circumstances ........just as bloody well!!!!! )

It was imported pre NOVA so I rang HMRC to clarify the situation and they said because it was pre NOVA that i could send the C&E389 (previously tax paid cert) to DVLA...

So I contacted DVLA to clarify they agreed and also said because its a 1971 bike no first tax needed paying?  Great..

Well this week I had a letter from DVLA declining application as I needed a NOVA stamp on C&E389 and to include £58 for first tax???

So all paper work is now winging it to Dover to hopefully get the correct NOVA approval ...the only saving grace Is I now have the girls direct contact at DVLA so I have someone who can help and possibly know what the hell is going

Because it seems to me no one else know their arse from their elbow and it all falls down to who's desk the paper work lands on...

The next thing I will need to do no doubt is take the bike to VOSA to prove it exists.  Even with an MOT and original USA title

Its winding me up writing this....

Time out!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 10:45:08 AM »
The money DVLA want is not the Tax, its they fact they charge you for a first registration wether its new or used mate.

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 11:03:26 AM »
No they want about £75 for first registration...which I included in the first application.   And then they wanted £50 odd quid for first tax. ? Definitely...
If I remember correctly they also done this with a tribsa I had but they returned the cheque with the paper work...

It's probably just a load of tick boxes they need to fill in

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »
Just going to correct myself
Just checked DVLA forms

I enclosed the £55 first registration fee not £75 as I quoted above...

And they also said quote
"the correct rate of tax disc was not enclosed please enclose the correct rate of tax of £58."

Even though its a 71" bike and the guy at the DVLA office said I didn't need to send it?

So it's £55 first reg fee
And £57 for first tax disc

I will get there
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:26:14 PM by Woodside »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »
I thought the reg fee was £65 now

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »
This is exactly it.....who knows???

The first thing I did before I filled out the V55/5 was to call DVLA to check on the correct paper work to send them ...and fees...

And then rang HMRC regards NOVA

Attached is a pic of returned letter and the DVLA check list at the bottom of the v55/5
All correct it seems apart from NOVA and tax fee?..
Which I was told neither apply?.???

It's a long winded process at best but being told one thing and then a week later the goal posts are moved it gets a tad annoying ...and I just know the next thing is a trip to VOSA to have the numbers checked
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:53:07 PM by Woodside »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 08:24:39 AM »
I would be ringing and reminding them that the Tax is Zero and they told you Nova did not apply. Also a visit to check numbers did not happen if the Proof of year of build  was a letter from Honda when i did a few

Offline Oldiron550

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 11:03:43 PM »
Just keeping everyone up-to date on the import process of my Honda.
Brief history.
1971 CL350K3 Street Scrambler.
Imported from U.S to South of Ireland 2005.
Bought the Honda and took her home to Northern Ireland 12th April 2014.
The only document I have is a S Ireland tax book.

Stage1 HMR&C (SORTED)
Used the HMR&C (NOVA) online service. Very easy to use with immediate reply.

Date Created:18 Apr 2014 Name: Damian C. Acknowledgement reference: 4CSJ -------------
Re: Online Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) submission
Submission reference: 4CSJ-----------
NOVA reference: NOVA15E------
VIN: CL350-------
Thank you for your vehicle notification.
Based on the information you have provided to HMRC, an application can now be made to register and licence the vehicle with Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Please note that certain vehicle information will be shared with DVLA for registration and licensing purposes.
HMRC have reviewed your vehicle notification and are satisfied that no VAT is due.
You should allow 48 hours from the time you receive this notice before applying to DVLA.

Stage 2 (SORTED)
Notified insurance (25th April) and added the CL350 onto my policy.
Insured for thirty days on its chassis number.

Stage 3 (SORTED)
MOT was booked on its chassis number and passed OK on the 26th April.

Now at Stage 4.
To obtain an Age related Registration in N.I. i need to complete and supply the following documents to The Association of Old Vehicle Clubs in N.I.
 V3 and V55/5 form, MOT, insurance, Irish Registration book, cheque for £75 made out to AOVC and cheque for £55 made out to DVLA.

All originals of above go to the address at the top of the V3 Form. An Inspector will then phone me to make an appointment to inspect the bike at my home.

They normally do the inspection within days of receiving the paperwork and process this inside 48 hours.

It can then take DVLA in Coleraine (N.I.) anything from 7 days to several weeks to allocate the number depending on how busy they are.

Hopefully by the May I will have the Honda registered with a N.I. age related.
Current Bikes
1976 CB550F
1972 BMW R60/5 SWB
1947 BSA M20 (girder forks)

Offline Oldiron550

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 11:24:12 PM »
8 long weeks and I've finally been issued a N Ireland (Co Down) age related plate for the 1971 CL350 dare I say it Twin!

Current Bikes
1976 CB550F
1972 BMW R60/5 SWB
1947 BSA M20 (girder forks)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 06:03:47 AM »
Well done... finally... it really is a frustrating and needlessly complicated process.

DVLA continue to frustrate the **** out of me. My '73 750 is now classed as 'historic', and consequently free of road tax. So, I go onto the (slick) tax website and try to register / get the annual new tax disc (£0).... nope... gotta call them. 30 mins of frigging automated call centre crap / holding... whereupon I'm told to amend the V5 to 'Historic' and send it them.

I do.... 5 weeks later it comes back unchanged and a letter saying "we can't process this because your bike is not taxed. You need to go to a PO & tax it, and then send us the tax disc # and PO where you did this. Aaargh!

So I go to the PO wondering just how I was going to get a Historic Tax disc.... thank god a knowledgeable lady was on duty. "The DVLA don't have a clue what they're doing" (she told me).

Anyways, a new tax disc @ £0, and best of all she kept the bloody V5... to process with DVLA.

The BIG question... why did these clowns just not amend my V5, and issue me a free tax disc. Why did the PO have to be involved... what was all the bloody point?

As I say....aaargh...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:30:47 AM by Lobo »

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 09:03:36 AM »
Well.... I was going to say try your local DVLA office. I went to mine in order to get "disabled" status removed from a car I bought at auction a while back, since it seemed the only way out of a similar "deadly embrace".

However... they have all been closed https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/250142/INF259_151013.pdf

So online/press-2-for.... it is then
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal