Author Topic: Experience with engine paints  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Ecks

• View Profile
Experience with engine paints
« on: January 24, 2014, 10:09:27 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to decide which engine paint to get, I'm aiming for a factory-like aluminum finish.  David Silver stocks this paint from Autotek: http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/generic-accessories/part_224169, has anyone tried this stuff?  What were your results?

I'm tempted by the Simoniz (Sperex) aluminum engine enamel, though I've read that it requires ambient temperature to be at least 20deg upon application.  Seeing as that weather won't be happening until July, if ever, I'm shying away.  Plus, there seems to be a fair amount of obfuscation regarding what temperature that paint is rated to, something that should be printed on the front of the can in my opinion.

Cheers dudes.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
Re: Experience with engine paints
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »
Ecks,

I have used the Simonize one on my 400 4 and personally I think it is a bit too silvery.
It covered well and no issues with it yet but I only did the casings and head cover.

Regards,
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
Did you use silver or aluminium?

I see that Sperex VHT comes in "aluminium" - I used it on the burners on my range cooker...

Also, aerosol paint and low temperatures = crap finish. They are not kidding when they say 20 degrees. If you have to do it now, warm the can in hot water and shake well. Better still, do it in the kitchen!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:22:39 PM »
The nearest match to Honda engine paint, is Simoniz part number SIMVHT31C. The cheapest is on flea bay from NE spares at £20.99 with free P&P for 3 cans. A lot cheaper than DSS.
You can heat up the engine with a heat paint stripping gun or the wife's hair dryer. If you use a heat gun, just don't get too close. Put the engine and cans in the house over night too warm up to room temp.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:42:07 PM by trigger6969 »

Offline Ecks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  Paul, Trigger, or others, do you happen to know what the temperature rating of the Simoniz engine enamel is?  Some forum searching has turned up figures as low as  120°C, which seems insufficient for an air-cooled engine.

Looks like I'll be bringing the space heater out to the shed.  Hopefully I can at least get ambient up to 18°, and I'll definitely have to take steps to keep the engine and paint can reasonably warm.  If I do end up going for the Autotek VHT stuff, I'll be sure to let you know how it works.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
I've been using Silver smoothrite (from Hammerite) in aerosol form for many years now on Hondas - everyone who sees the result says it looks like factory finish.  I did the engine on my 350 Four over 10 years ago and it still looks great.  I had a carb issue many years ago on that engine and there was a puddle of fuel sitting on the top of the crankcase.  I cleaned it off, sorted the carbs and it still looks untouched.  Like all of the other posts say though - it has to be thoroughly dry before use - at this time of year it's got to be assisted.
There is a bit on my site about it.
http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/Bikes/Japanese/350four.htm

I have also done the rear shaft drive box on my 1500 'Wing which is a notorious bad point and that looks great too.  I recently did the crankcases on the 400/4 and they are looking good - but haven't run that one yet.

Offline bytio

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 11:42:58 AM »
I have tried many, however by far the best finish and in particular resistant to fuel and oil is to have them stove enammeled, the finish for mine in Satin black, and others in silver is excellent

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal