Author Topic: Is my fork leg correct?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
Is my fork leg correct?
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
Hello again, fellow money pit fans. My next in a long line of eager learnings with your help involves front forks.

I have no doubt that in some time past, this old girl had a front end wallop, as a previous (newbie) photo has attested. One of the fork legs is in fairly poor condition and so I have started stripping it down to learn more, before attacking the better (salvageable?) one. In so doing, I have been following my Haynes manual and so removed the hexagon screw, etc. before removing the top nut. OK so far, me thinks, until it says, 'remove the spring clip or circlip and prize out the oil seal' from the top of the fork lower leg. The circlip came out easily, but the oil seal seems to have been glued in and is solid. Also, removing part of the seal, revealed an oval spring. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Hopefully (if I've inserted my image correctly) you can see what I'm on about.

Also, it says in my manual that there is an additional spring on 400s (not on 550s) at the top of the stanchion inside the lower leg. No spring popped out with mine, but there is in the bottom of the stanchion, a collar that doesn't want to come out and isn't in the exploded view drawing in Haynes. This image gives a tiny peep: [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [attac [ Guests cannot view attachments ] himg=2]

All of this diatribe, leads me to suspect that my forks have been replaced with non-standard ones of the correct size.

Any better or at least better-informed ideas anyone? I haven't yet started on the other leg to see if they're the same and will do so next weekend (for another thrilling instalment, etc.)

Thank you and remember, February's a short month so it's nearly spring!

Drew.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:59:42 PM by Drew400 »
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Is my fork leg correct?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 07:08:57 PM »
Drew
That spring goes in the fork seal underneath its to keep the seal true.As for the seal itself its impossible to put that spring back without getting it out.I would with a screwdriver try knocking into the fork bottom until you can prise it out.In the condition of your pics they are knackered and need to replace anyway.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 07:48:40 PM »
Thanks Bitsa, I wonder how the handling will improve when I get around to replacing this leg (and the other, and the shocks, and the...?), not that I'm a British Superbikes rider, you understand! Cheers, D.
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »
Dayv, fork stanchions can be straightened and hard chromed again.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 07:57:41 PM »
Drew,
Restored a 400/4 a few years back and for the life of me since moving on to the 750 all my memory has gone.I can not remember what keeps the primary chain tight or anything like that.
Main shells,big end and the valve train on the fours are basically the same.Must be my age doing my head in.I do remember the cam chain stuff etc though.With the right stuff the 400 handled real well but too small for an old fat miserable git like me
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
That is a nice 400F mate.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 08:05:07 PM »
Cheers
Trigger bought it because I could not find a 750 at the time.Even the exhaust system was Honda, DS had them at the time.Sold it to a rich French vine yard owner bought it for his wife.
Cheers
Bitsa
Origine came from the UK

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 07:30:22 AM »
That collar is suposed to be there and aint supposed to come out. The seal outer can be a bitch but you must do it without damaging the internal surface it goes in on or oil will leak up arround the outside.

Only small spring i remember goes on the damper before you slide it in so it bears on the unseen top of that collar

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 09:08:10 PM »
Thank you again all. I wish I could provide advice in response to others' requests! Maybe when I've completed this job I will be able to...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal