Author Topic: Indicator Relay  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Indicator Relay
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:16:30 PM »
The big question is: Are the flasher relays for LED the same as a normal 2 pin indicator relay. There does seem to be a big price difference, with the LED being a lot cheaper. Can any electric guru's please advise.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Indicator Relay
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 08:28:21 PM »
The original flasher relay works with a bi-metal strip. That's two different types of metal bonded together, each with a different coefficient of expansion (ie when a current is passed through them they expand at a different rate). This causes the metal strip to bend and make (or break) the contact. That's why when a bulb blows or the earth wire falls off, the indicators don't flash (there's not enough current flowing through the metal strip to heat it up).  That's also why you can hear them "ticking" when they are working properly.

LED indicator relays are not relays at all and are solid state electronics, make by the gazillion in China and hence really cheap.

Steve (BSc Electronic Engineering, back when integrated circuits hadn't been invented)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »
Cheers Steve, that now makes sense. 

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:35:26 PM »
There are two types of indicator 'relays' fitted to classic Hondas. The ones with the round cans have an electrolytic capacitor in the end of the can and rely on the timing  duration of the flash (using a relay inside the can) using the RC time constant where the C is the capacitor value and the R is the internal relay resistance. These have three wires. The other type is rectangular can and as described by Steve and use the heating of a bi-metallic strip just like the rectangular units used in 60s/70's British cars (eg original minis). These are rectangular and have two  6.3mm 'Lucar'  style blade terminals on them and have 'Signal Stat 142' printed on them. I think they are fitted to USA CB750 SOHC models. My UK K0 was fitted with the capacitor type.
The Aftermarket  LED ones will probably be a low frequency oscillator using solid state IC and constant current generator with a power 'MOSFET' Transistor to switch the LED current.

The cool thing would be to build the LED electronics for the flasher into the can of the standard flasher if original look is required.

Cheers  AshD
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:16:45 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 11:03:22 PM »
Ash, i maybe reading the last bit you wrote wrong but, you can buy 12v 2 pin Led flasher in a cylinder shape.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 11:15:44 PM »
Hi what I meant was for restorers looking for originality it may be possible build the LED flasher circuit into the original Honda part 'can' . For just a retrofit yes there are round ones with two pins.... can't believe how cheap they are!!!

Cheers.... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 11:19:16 PM »
 ;) see what you mean now. So if i plunged a Led into my 550F , what would happen?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 11:34:17 PM »
;) see what you mean now. So if i plunged a Led into my 550F , what would happen?

Don't know much about led lightsfor bikes  but I am fairly sure the standard Honda  relay  would not work properly with LED's.

Cheers ......AshD

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Flasher Relays
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 12:51:53 AM »
Whilst the cheapo / modern 2 pin relays work fine it just didn't seem right (!) the silent flashing / lack of a nice relay "tick-tick-tick..."  making / breaking... had to go back to ebay & spend a few more quid on my old girls...

Shamelessly copied from elsewhere...

"A standard relay uses the Amp draw from an incandescent bulb to create heat causing the flasher relay to blink. Since LED lights draw such a minute amount of Amps, they don't create enough heat to trigger a standard relay. That is why a LED specific relay is required. It is digitally controlled and does not require the normal Amp draw that a standard relay uses."

In other words..

A (suitably rated) LED flasher unit will run either LED or filament bulbs......
A traditional relay will not flash LEDs as the 'trigger' mechanism (ie current load) is missing.

Take a look at the below page & note the lower most product. (one's a 2-pin)

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/relays/flashers.php

...or you can 'frig the system' and keep your old flasher relay & add in the below 'extra load'
(Lower most product)

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/lighting/round.php

Cheers,
Simon

(& whilst I'm here... Steve, keep meaning to say what a bloody great website - thank you. And  OddJob, you miss nothing in all the bloody photos! You work for HM reconnaissance?)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:40:10 AM by Lobo »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 07:19:01 AM »
Don't you just love it when people refer to electrical current as "Amp draw".

😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
...mmm, Amp draw, somewhere you keep your amps, aka 'battery'?

Dear god, let's not muddy the waters further!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal