Author Topic: The computer says 'No'  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
The computer says 'No'
« on: February 10, 2014, 02:59:36 PM »
Recently applied to the DVLA (via correct form) as to the whereabouts of my 1978 CB400F2 - which I see is SORN'd. Gave the explanation that I was its first owner, and would like to approach its current owner with a view to buying it back. Mentioned I understood privacy laws etc, and would be more than happy for the DVLA to please just forward my request / email address on & leave it up to the owner whether he wanted to get in touch.

Alas...

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: The computer says 'No'
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 03:28:02 PM »
They clearly have too many lawyers and run scared if anyone even mentions "Data Protection"...

How on earth does forwarding your request constitute a breach of their responsibilities under the Act?

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
This is utter bollox.

This guy is Phil Henderen. He's an occasional blogger about politics, tech, stupidity and such. He's blogged about DVLA in the past and how leaky they can be with data.

http://dizzythinks.net/2008/09/are-fujitsu-and-ibm-profiting-from.html

In 2008 my car got a "Civil Parking Enforcement Notice" - first I knew was a demand in the post three days after the "offence". Of course the key word is "civil". In that case you are acting against the perpetrator. But of course that may not be the registered keeper and the parking company have to prove that (in this case it genuinely wasn't me).

The vehicle was parked opposite the local library close to spaces reserved for the NHS clinic. Closed on a Sunday.... but these companies still send out their storm troopers.

I got in touch with DVLA and recorded my calls. Told Dizzy and he published. Unfortunately those links are dead now (I do still have the audio) but the point is for £2.50/record these companies can download registered keeper details at will and here's Simon just wants to know where his old bike is.

Tom

PS - I never paid them...

1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:32:57 AM »
Cheers Tom...

Unfortunately couldn't download those audio files.

Perhaps due to becoming 'aware' the DVLA has decided to tighten up (let's hope so) and as a consequence I've become an innocent victim...

I did however get my £2.50 back, and surprisingly a half decent letter...

Anyone out there suggest a plan B; other than to mull about the Houses of Parliament & find a bent copper! (bike a parakeet 400F, reg GVH 55S if anyone here knows the owner - PM me!)

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 10:21:48 AM »
Had the same reply from LOBO from DVLA so tried a different approach.
Said i have historic info and photos taken when the bike was 2 weeks old and the current owner may want them due to historic value.
I put in a stamped envelope  and a letter to the current owner saying i had this info and to contact me if interested,dvla just had to put an address on and post it.
Had a reply back from the pc crowd, "sorry cant send this on as it has been some time since it was last sorn (10 months) and they may have died and receiving this letter may be distressing for them" What a load of Bxxxxxks.
So just remember if you haven't spoken to someone for a few months ,don't ,they may just have died and you wouldn't want to upset the family now would you.
Oh well another dead end.(excuse the pun)
Rich
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 01:47:47 AM »
...but contacting me for £76 (whatever) annual tax is distressing to me.... without being dead!! How come this is ok?

In one sense its 'nice' to get a human response; but alas that's offset by the quality of their bloody thinking / reasoning. I guess, overall I'm more pleased than disappointed as have utter disdain for the government & the way they generally use / loose / abuse personal data.

So, looking for a bent copper... c'mon... somebody?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:33:58 AM by Lobo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal