Author Topic: Flash Rust  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Flash Rust
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »
Hi Guys,
When I got the bike I can not remember inside being so rusty before it was repainted.When I collected it the sprayer warned me of the rust inside didn't take much notice just removed what I could and got on with it.Read some where when its been resprayed and put in an oven to rapid dry can cause this as the heat drys the inside out causing flash rusting.Is this true?
Can anyone help as I am about to get another done and its rust free inside and if this is the case I will tell him to let it dry Naturally.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

ka-ja

Re: Flash Rust
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »
Hi,
     Two biggest causes of "flash" rusting are the use of chemical cleaners and bead-blasting,these surfaces need to be primed almost within the hour to prevent a sudden rust attack----Ken

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »
Cheers Ken,
Thanks for your answer but my main concern is the interior.I did spray it full of something I cant remember same thing as my exhaust which has preserved it very well for 3 years now but what I am asking is does ovens create flash rust inside the tank/
cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

ka-ja

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:22:13 AM »
Hi Bitsa,
               A lifetime in engineering says no to flash rust through that level of heat on its own, but what effect that heat has on residues left on metal surfaces is anyone's guess, a tank is one thing I have never thought of "stoving" due to the thin-ness of metal and welded seams---ken

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »
Cheers Ken Lets see what happens when I get it back.
Bitsa

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »
Hi Guys.
Well the natural drying process seemed to work got it back today and still crystal clear of rust.Good job well happy now.The white bit you can see is a feather.
Cheers
Bitsa
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:56:49 PM by Bitsa »

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 05:31:05 PM »
Looks good Bitsa is that a spare or for another project? cheers Mick  ;)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 06:59:18 PM »
Mick,
Spare at the moment but if I can find a frame this weekend at this massive bike fair who knows I have a tank, side panels,all the electrics,spare engine, clocks, top yoke, full exhaust 341s and probably most of another bike.
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
Bitsa
Looks Great
Did you use the french guy or the Brit you bumped into.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

ka-ja

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »
Hi Bitsa,
            Great about the interior, and a good looking paint job as well---Ken

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
Thanks guys,
Mick used the French guy paid 400 euros which I think was not a bad price as there was 3 dents to fill as well.I gave him a side panel for him to match and I do not have a lot to say praising the French around here but he is bloody good he is a biker Harley unfortunately.The photo is how it started out.
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 07:22:30 PM »
Did you fit the fuel cap I found it a real bastered I was crapping my self working that close to fresh paint.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »
Mick.
Yes to all done it many a time when I did insurance repairs back in the 70s.Have to say though today had shit loads of rags around it as with respraying every thing is alot thicker than it was had to clean excessive paint off to get the cap and washers to refit same with the lock part.Badges no problem the clips fitted nice and tight.
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »
I had to clean the paint off for the push button on the gold tank.
Rather stupidly I took the paint of the wrong side and had to touch it in.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
Mick,
Been there done that.Thats how we learn mate.If the chrome covers it thats the side you take the paint off.Like I said easy done we are not the first and we will not be the last.I think its called experience.
Cheers
Bitsa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal