Author Topic: CB500K REAR WHEEL - EQUIVALENT?  (Read 7678 times)

Offline kmn

• Guilty of the wilful neglect of CB500/4. Sorry.
    • View Profile
CB500K REAR WHEEL - EQUIVALENT?
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:30:10 AM »
Hello - newby here... I've had a search through previous posts and couldn't find any previous enquiries about this: My rear wheel is in dire need of being replaced by one with some chrome on it. The whole bike is being rebuilt at the mo and I want her back on the road for TT time here in the IOM.

Struggling to find via ebay / google a wheel so far, is there a wheel from another model (inc hub/drum/etc) that will fit, I have no idea what bits are interchangeable at this moment!

Many thanks in anticipation of any help!

Kev

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: CB500K REAR WHEEL - EQUIVALENT?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-500-Four-CB-550-Four-Hinterrad-wheel-/301093448737?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item461a916c21
One wheel in good condition. Also PM Oddjob he is having a early spring sale and may have a rear wheel in better condition.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »
If the drum lining is in good order why not lace a new rim on with new spokes from Dave Silver?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:14:13 AM »
A few things, 1st, your best option is probably rebuild what you have. even a cracked drum lining is fixable, if it just needs a new set of spokes and rim better still. If replacing Cb500 and 550 wheels are broadly the same, in terms of spacers and spindle bolts will interchange, but the brake back plates come in a few varieties and not all will interchane from wheel to wheel so best treated as a set - buy the back plate and wheel off the same bike as a match is only established by bolting the complete assembly into the swing arm, nice and tight and seeing if the whole lot will turn or if the drum backplate is now toutching the hub.As I recall it looks ok, but wont turn as you cannot see thecontact area. cb650 comstars will slot streight in at the rear, the front comstar off a cb650 will fit but might need new spacers - before I had a lathe I used a selection of washers.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline kmn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Thanks for all your help. The hub & drum are in fine order, ideally, I would go for a Silvers' new rim & spokes but the £200 rebuild cost is out of my league right now. I'll pm yer man and keep tabs on the ebay link..

Offline kmn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »
Ooof, bet that hurt..

Should you happen across a std wheel sir please... please let me know!

There'll be a question about forks coming soon...

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »
cb650 comstars were cheap(relatively) when I last looked - probably why I have 2 sets stockpiled in the shed, Wish I'd seen some at £5 though. Yamaha xs250 and 400 rear wheel can also apparently be fitted, sadly I think I stuck the one I had on ebay @99p and it went for that poxy sum. I rarely see cb500 spoked wheels go for an affordable price, unless ripe- last one I picked up for £40 had painted spokes and they snapped in service as the paint was masking some really bad pitting, so check for that, wasn't very bad on my bike,it's a sidecar outfit, so I just swapped for a sprare from the shed and carried on - lost me an hour waiting for other half to bring the spare, no so easy on a solo. I'm considering selling a few spares - either a set of Melbur alloys or perhaps the cb650, though I've not decided what I'd sell or keep yet - need to sort the relevant shed and see how many of each type I have. Don't be put off doing a re spoke job yourself - it's doable on a diy basis - I've done a couple as I had some cracked drums to re line and didn't then have a lathe big enough to take a complete wheel so I had to un lace the spokes and then re lace afterwards (being a tightwad I re used the best spokes and rim from 2 or 3 wheels to do a good one) One Wheel I probably will get rid of is a 500 rear which has been re laced with a 15 inch rim and tyre - the tyre rubs the stock brake torque arm, the wheel is not pretty.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
Thanks for all your help. The hub & drum are in fine order, ideally, I would go for a Silvers' new rim & spokes but the £200 rebuild cost is out of my league right now. I'll pm yer man and keep tabs on the ebay link..

about £60 for budget DSS rim + spokes and build it yersel.  Its not that hard really
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »
I built my own wheel with new rim and spokes but couldn't be arsed trying to balance it, maybe next time.
I paid a professional £25 to true it up.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline kmn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »
My capacity for making a balls of something holds no bounds. But I can't resist a challenge so I might have to give building a wheel a, er, bash.

I'll keep an eye out for a decent prefab rear wheel though, it's always good to have a spare anyway - what with them being rare and all that. And not because any wheel built by me will only be fit to go on a clown's bike.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:15:57 AM by kmn »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 07:21:29 AM »
When you are ready to do the job shoot me a PM and I will tell you an easier way of doing it mate, but to start with take lots of pictures and look carefully at the hub end of the spokes so you can identify the two sorts

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 07:47:19 AM »
When you are ready to do the job shoot me a PM and I will tell you an easier way of doing it mate, but to start with take lots of pictures and look carefully at the hub end of the spokes so you can identify the two sorts

Can I shoot you the email too Bryan when I am ready to have a go at wheelbuilding (I have a pair of wheels for my 750K0 and another pair for my 250K0 to lace up).

It was interesting what David Silver said about the rims they sell (he contacted  me via Facebook), basically he was recommending DID rims if you are doing it yourself and inexperienced and that  his economy ones were best suites to the 'pros. My 750 ones are DID and I have not bought the CB250K0 ones yet.

Cheers....... AshD
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:49:49 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:30:32 AM »
Why do people have trouble with lacing. The rear is so easy, use the swinging arm as a stand. That is where the wheel will be going in the end.
I have just looked through You Tube, Vids and Oakys Garage M/C lacing is about the best. Why do Americans have to blab on? 

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
Testing picture uploads

Looks like the server is out of disc space...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:11:57 AM by SteveD CB500F »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »
Yep.