Author Topic: 500 four rectifier  (Read 9045 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: 500 four rectifier
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 09:57:25 PM »
How about  building your own loom but use the Honda wiring charge circuit as original as attached using the correct voltage reg. I got one last night delivered free off Ebay £8.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201040343098?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Lithium-ion batteries not good at low temperatures and don't like deep discharge. The correct controllers (complicated) prevent them fully discharging.

Cheers... AshD
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:07:30 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 10:24:03 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1974-Honda-CB450-CB-450-Wiring-Harness-Solenoid-Regulator-Rectifier-Flasher-/151244436207?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2336def2ef

Bit expensive on postage ... shame..  but everything you need and more plus it has the later silicon (rather than selenium) rectifier. The rectifier is single phase and also fitted to later models CB/CL/ 250/350 twins.

Cheers .. AshD

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:27:47 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 03:36:12 AM »
.... and here's my £4 Heath-Robinson offering!  Ash, can you verify the wiring diagram ok pls...

1st up you'll need to take your junk drawer 'Field Coil Voltage Regulator', make sure its ok and then do minor surgery to it. Don't have one in my hand, and I wouldn't think hard... esp given your trade.

There's a live in (black connector), an earth (Green) and a white.... whose output will be in accordance with the points position. What you need to do Mjc is organise that white to be open circuit normally (points UP) and black wire (ie loom) voltage when points switch to the down position.

Then, from Maplins buy a £4 12v/15A minimum SPDT relay.

eg http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-30a-dc-spdt-automotive-relay-n00aw

The plan is to use your modified regulator to switch this relay when voltage exceeds 14.5, and in doing so short the PMG yellow field coil to ground.

Wiring diagram might be as below...

Good luck.... like Ash's suggestions of using the correct bits... but then where's the fun / challenge!
As for the loom, personally given any you buy is gonna be 40yrs+, your experience.... and that your bike is not planned to be original in terms of wiring I'd be tempted to make up a shiny new loom.

I've not done one myself, but the Internet would be a great place to start. My reckoning would be to design your circuit on paper, and install all the electrical bits onto the bike. Then, and one at a time, install each circuit onto the frame, tie wrapping the wires to the bike as you go. As new circuit adds on, tie wrap the new wires to the building loom. Leave all ends with a surplus 20cms or so. Once the loom is complete, cut it away from the bike, insulate all the soldered connections you'll have made, and then tape the whole thing up soundly, cutting the binding tie wraps as you go.

Reinstall it onto the bike & now cut the ends to length & terminate. Just a thought...

These guys have all the wiring, connectors, heat shrink tubing, heat resistant sleeving yada yad that you might require. http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/70

Batteries... Lithium etc... http://www.carrotcycles.co.uk/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=217

Cost a small fortune, and VERY technical in terms of charging / discharging. They need very specific chargers... ie you can't just bung in 14.5V and not expect something terrible to happen. Honestly.

Carrot Batteries sell lithium types for 'bikes... and within the battery is the circuitry to adapt 40 year old technology to be compatible with the battery. This said, certainly in the short term, given your charging circuit is in its infancy / unproven can I suggest you steer clear of fancy LiPos LiFes & the like and so save yourself big bucks or worse, a burned out bike. One step at a time without wanting to sound rude!

Anyways, good luck with it all, the bike looks great..

Simon

(PS - Ash, any reason why the 'spare' yellow rectifier lead can't be connected to the LH Yellow & 'share' the load?)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:25:00 AM by Lobo »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 08:36:52 AM »
Hi, Not had chance to respond yet as busy with work. What's the 'junkbox, regulator Lobo?

Found a rectifier pack last night from 80's Ford Orion , 3 phase, looks neat for conversion for bike use.

For the CB450 -- tons of help on HondaTwins.net forum.

Agree bike looks really nice.

cheers

Ash

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 10:06:28 AM »
Hi Ash,

'Junk box relay' is one Mjc477 has in his treasure trove.... declared / pictured on p1 of this thread. Shame to let it go to waste I thought, ie mod it & tie it to a SPDT relay...... as an option. But would it work?

My main concern would be the relay 'chattering' as voltage rises, relay grounds a winding, voltage falls, relay opens.... ad infinitum.
But then, wouldn't this apply to the field coil regulator system we have on the 1975 Hondas, ie the points within chattering about a 14.5v mean as the 10ohm resistor is shunted in & out?

Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:08:50 AM by Lobo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal