Author Topic: K1 top yoke  (Read 3147 times)

Offline JB373

• View Profile
K1 top yoke
« on: February 23, 2014, 02:06:15 PM »
Hi - I have a 71 K1 project on the go and I am going run clip ons so want to grind the top yoke down for some cleaner lines but rather than chop up the original (rhino horn shape) which look like they're quite rare, does anyone know if any other model top yokes fit the K1 - I did buy a later cb750 model top yoke off ebay for not very much but it didn't line up -anyone have any suggestions...please?
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:10:20 PM by JB373 »

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: K1 top yoke
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »
Hi I'm not 100% sure but I would have thought one from a K6 or F1 would do? cheers Mick.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 06:57:01 PM »
Plus 1 with Mick but I would think all the ks up tp the 6 would do.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 08:08:16 PM »
I don't think an F1 item would be much use, it would fit, but has the speedo/tacho mounted differently to the K1-6 (little chrome clamps for K1-6, two little acorn nuts on the bottom of each clock for F1)
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:54:46 PM »
Removing the handlebar bosses on the top yoke that was fitted to my K6 or K7 (not sure which model the top yoke was from) would leave 2 large holes, I would question the integrity of the yoke once this had been done, I have ordered a CR750 replica top yoke from Honda Racing ltd £108 , I'm told a Cbx1000 top yoke is a straight swap though, depends what look you are going for.
Re the Honda racing ltd Cr750 top yoke below you send them your top yoke and they machine their casting to match.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:38:05 PM by MarkCR750 »
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline JB373

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »
Thanks for the useful replies - £108 is a little more than I was hoping to shell out - unless I can sell my original K1 rhino horn yoke - any takers??

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »
Mark have you got a link to Honda Racing Ltd??
Removing the handlebar bosses on the top yoke that was fitted to my K6 or K7 (not sure which model the top yoke was from) would leave 2 large holes, I would question the integrity of the yoke once this had been done, I have ordered a CR750 replica top yoke from Honda Racing ltd £108 , I'm told a Cbx1000 top yoke is a straight swap though, depends what look you are going for.
Re the Honda racing ltd Cr750 top yoke below you send them your top yoke and they machine their casting to match.

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »
There you go James, apologies btw I got their name wrong it's actually "Classic Honda Racing Ltd", my yoke isn't back yet, I called them today and it's still at their machinists, they estimate it will be posted back to me on Friday, if so their turn around is a week and a half, very friendly and helpful, the £108 includes VAT & return postage of the new yoke and the original sent for their machinist to copy the dimensions.

http://classichondaracing.co.uk/
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 11:03:21 PM »
Thanks for the link Mark

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »
Re the Classic Honda racing Cr750 top yoke below you send them your top yoke and they machine their casting to match.

So the top yoke arrived after approx 3.5 weeks and a couple of polite phone calls to them asking when it would be sent, I had been told it would only take 10 days, various excuses like "the machinist hasn't sent it back" and "I've got it I'll post it today" and then it takes another week to arrive, not very good, I'd rather be told the truth, when it eventually gets to me the surface finish is very poor, not at all like the nice sandcast finish in the photo on their website, nope, covered in small blowholes, so I contact Stuart at Classic Honda Racing and politely explain that I wanted to fit the yoke unpainted so the finish is a problem, he says send it back and I will refund you, I say how about you make me another one?, silence, so I email him again asking if that idea is not agreeable to him, silence, I am not very pleased, not responding says a lot about their attitude to a customer in my opinion, so if you are thinking of buying anything from Classic Honda Racing based in Norwich (AKA, CHR COMPONENTS LTD) it might be an idea to think again!. needing to crack on with the build means I'm going to keep the part but I now have to smooth and paint it, I will drop in to see Stuart when I'm next in the Norwich area and explain to him face to face why I'm not happy, I'm looking forward to that but I doubt he will enjoy it much  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:50:41 AM by MarkCR750 »
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »
Update, several days after I last emailed him Stuart has replied saying he will make me another one, so the jury is out again, I'll let you know how it goes!!
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal