Author Topic: k3 throttle cable pulley  (Read 2915 times)

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
k3 throttle cable pulley
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:46:38 PM »
spoke to a couple of members who have what I assume is a different set up to what I have

attaching the throttle cables to the pulley on top of carbs

on what I have seen pics ( 500 and 400f ?) of the cable nipple go into 2 holes on the same pulley one to open and one to close

on the k3 I assume its different

ie one goes into pulley other one goes into a cradle that swings up

so am I correct and if so does the cable go under the carbs or as I have it now over the carbs

also cable route correct ..... under rpm, down the left hand side of bike

pics

route first

through the rpm counter

down the left and onto the carbs

now this place for fitting the cable on top of carb

I hope in this pic you can see where I think it goes different to other 550s and 500s ?

pic showing what I am trying to connect

and lastly connected into this cradle but the wire going over the carbs which I am not convinced is correct so thought I would ask

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: k3 throttle cable pulley
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »
Mike you have got it wrong, the two throttle cables fit on the pulley similar to the older models, on your last pic you have the cable connected to the choke operating lever, the K3 has a cable operated choke, the choke cable fits to that lever from above.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »
so there are two holes in the pulley where I have the first cable ?

struggling to find the second hole....

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 08:34:26 PM »
Zoom in on the pulley here. Looks like a hole right on the end.

http://www.cmsnl.com/cb550k3-four-england_model14671/partslist/E17.html#row16026393004
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 08:50:02 PM »
the top cable runs quite a long way along that grove in the pulley and the hole / cutaway is a swine to get it in, especially if the cable inner snaps outside work, 20 miles from decent tools and in 4 inches of snow and frost - I gave up and just turned the idle screw right up. Look below the choke cable, on the pulley, long needle nose pliers with a double crank in them help, or it might have been a 90 deg bend set.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »
so is the 2 holes close to each other ? and not one on each end of pulley

also does then the top cable reach to furthest away hole

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:27 PM »
I think I need to go outside and look at mine (tomorrow) I'm struggling to recall exact details but it was a bit confusing or counter intuative. Might the long cable pass under the pulley thing and have a fairly long slot? I'm struggling to recall which set of carbs did what, having had 500 and 550k3 carbs on my regular bike.
Just to add, studying the cnsl pic in the link, and wracking my addled beer soaked brain, the long cable I'm sure goes under the carbs and you hook it into that slot that can be seen at the back of the pulley, then the short cable is running over the top which I think is how you have it. I'm afraid my laptop screen is a wreck so pictures are often a blur of red and green in places.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:27:24 PM by matthewmosse »
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:11:52 PM »
If you send your email address I can send you a 550k3 supplement which has lots of info and photos about the carbs.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
On my k3 carbs the cable runs short over the top, long under the spindle and up the back of the pulley, the round cutout holds the top cable, bottom slot that follows the perimeter of the pulley - end result puts the ends of the cable about 40 mm appart I'd geuss. I think I also figured out why the bike conked out when last used as all the cables are off. Silly reason for a bike to get laid up for years!

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »
this pic from the US site might help. The bottom cable nipple goes in the slotted part near to the hole for the top cable, not obvious at first look.

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »
arrghh getting frustrating now

pull to top .....

closing cable on bottom holder

top cable over the top of pulley and nipples pushes sideways into the hole

bottom cable ( close ) under the pulley in the groove of pulley and nipple sits sideways in the groove

end result not able to move throttle on grip, I am obviously doing something wrong, read manuals supplement and seem to be doing it correct

so guys any more ideas hope the vid helps it to show better

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 05:45:37 PM »
tried swapping the cables over inside the twist grip? Or taking the twistgrip off the bars. Seems very odd, might be something binding somewhere, taking the twistgrip out of the equation might help figure out the culprit.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 07:49:42 PM »
Just a thought, does the opening cable go on the bottom of pulley, try swapping them around.

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
just loosened off the throttle stop and the cables now move, quite hard to move but maybe easier with the rubber grip on the throttle

I guess I now have to set it up ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal