Author Topic: Main Bearing identification  (Read 3234 times)

Offline r1_pete

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Main Bearing identification
« on: March 02, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »
Is there a way to measure and identify main bearings once the colour has worn away? I know the outers are B, but I didn't het the crank with the cases.

I have a set of perfect bearings, which I'd like to identify...
2009 Yamaha XJR1300 sold
1977 CB750F2 café racer project. Sold
1972 CB750K2 hot rod. Sold
and an E-Type Jaguar that considers itself worthy of all my spare cash. Sold

1971 CB450
1978 Reliant Scimitar Cosworth.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Main Bearing identification
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »
I guess Plastigauge on crank. Assemble and check compressed width of Plastigauge after dis-assembly again to determine crank/shell clearance.
Cheers ....  AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
If I can find it there was a table of figures once that included shell thicknes, but that only really workred when new and you had to be able to measure accurately to 0.001mm

Offline r1_pete

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
Thanks, yes I'd not thought of plastigauge....

Bryan, that's the sort of thing I had in mind...

I have 2 complete bottom ends, cases are As and Bs, and a set of empty cases which I've prepared for use, which are all Bs with perfect bearings, I'm hoping to get a set of bearings without resorting to buying new sets at £9 +VAT a shell.

I've internal and external mics so I guess I could bolt the empty cases together and measure the bearing ids.
2009 Yamaha XJR1300 sold
1977 CB750F2 café racer project. Sold
1972 CB750K2 hot rod. Sold
and an E-Type Jaguar that considers itself worthy of all my spare cash. Sold

1971 CB450
1978 Reliant Scimitar Cosworth.

Offline archmill

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 06:45:51 PM »
Definately Plastigauge. Did an article for Practical Sportsbikes magazine last year which explains how it works so from that, you could measure the crank diameter, add the Plastigauge clearance and therefore determine the shell sizes. Its a word document just short of 5Mb so give me your E-mail address and I will send. And anyone else who want it.

Archmill

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
Hi Guys.
A while ago when I could not match the crankcases with the crank, the etching on the crank was not visable I thought what the hell and rang Haynes.They were very nice and put me through to a Honda racing mechanic who told me after 30 or 40 years or so just buy the biggest shell fit them and re run it in gently.I have to say it shook me a bit and did just that.Fitted them the crank span after torquing down and so far touch wood no problems.As always leave it to you, in the past had good advice but also some shit advice.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 08:19:01 PM »
I had the same problem but after checking under different lights, I saw the marks on the crank - really looked like a 2 year olds writing, almost a scribble! Having a real look might save you a some work with the plastiguage - took me ages to spot the marks on my crank
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 08:57:39 PM »
Bitsa is right on this one. Between the smallest which off the top of my head is Yellow, to the largest which is Black. The difference is 0.0015 off the top of my head. I always use black but, do apply some running-in compound.  And as Bitsa says: Take it slowly.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »
I had the same problem but after checking under different lights, I saw the marks on the crank - really looked like a 2 year olds writing, almost a scribble! Having a real look might save you a some work with the plastiguage - took me ages to spot the marks on my crank
Phil

+1 those marks are hard to read and you need the right light level as there is very little contrast between the marks and the crank. They look like they were done with a wax crayon or lipstick!! obviously not, must be some kind of special marker pen the Japanese had.  I have convinced myself in the past that they had worn off but after a mug of tea and a re-examination they have always been there!

Link to Service bulletin #14 is useful (prices for the shells are a bit out of date though  ;D).

http://manuals.sohc4.net/CB750SB/750_14.pdf

Cheers..... AshD
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:25:36 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 10:51:42 PM »
60p a shell, trade price. The ones i got last week were coming up near a tenner.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 07:07:17 AM »
You need a mic with rounded anvils to measur a shell, and accuracy to 0.001mm is not asily done---its normaly done using air gauges.

I also have fitted all black shells and just run them in for about 1,000 never had a problem yet

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal