Author Topic: What to look out for when buying  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Greg65

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
What to look out for when buying
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »
OK wise sage and all knowing ones what would be your advice when looking for a 400 four. I have been reading the forum and getting some idea, I know a chrome exhaust is expensive and feel happy to be able to judge a good and a bad one. However I would like to buy a runner for the summer with the intention then to restore as required over the coming years. So advice in what to look out for, what is easy to fix  and what could be seriously expensive. I am sure there are as many opinions as there are bikes but any advice would be appreciated.

As far as reading material goes I have a Haynes on order. Is there any other books or manuals worth getting?

Thanks.
Greg
Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.
Honda CB400 1976
Suzuki GS1000 1978

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: What to look out for when buying
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Best to get one with the expensive parts in good condition, like the exhaust and mudguards. At least with the 400 most things are available new or reproduction, so almost anything possible with a deep wallet!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 01:25:10 PM »
Look camchain tensioner bolt!!! very important!!!

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »
Hi Greg,
Most parts are expensive does not matter what model you are buying but with 400/4 make sure the cam chain tensioner bolt is intact and undoes.The 400 is a nice bike to work on but until you strip it down the engine that is who knows what you will find.The last one I did bought blind nothing but rust and mud kids been dirt tracking on it.When stripping the engine someone had it apart b4 all the 6mm bolts stripped,no base gasket just red shit goo and all fairly knackered.Total rebuild and restore and turned out a nice bike.Make sure your head rules not your heart.
Wish you the best with whatever you get.Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »
A very good / complete / used original exhaust is worth £700+, very hard to find, and going up in price all the time. Original seat almost impossible - try & buy a bike with a good OEM one. Most other bits ok to source, though as already said, a bike with great OEM chrome bits will drastically reduce your bills.
Enjoy...
Simon

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »
Originality would be my preference if I was looking again.....
I wouldn't worry if the exhaust looks tired. Get a DSS replica later on.

The quiter the engine runs the better.... Do check the camchain adjuster is present and correct.
Might be a head gasket weep but not a big issue.
Loosen a plug and see how loose the threads feel..... Just my measure of previous tinkering !

People selling on a restored one will usually want the most back for their outlay on parts and tlc compared to a bike that has been in the same hands for a few years which might be a scruffier example but a better buy.

Offline rockvegas400

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »
+1 on the previous comments.

Aside from the Haynes manual you should get hold of a parts manual, and the Honda service manual. Both are available on the web, as well as stacks of helpful information about this bike (including this forum of course).

Cheers,

Justin
'75 CB400F
'88 VFR750F

Offline Greg65

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 06:27:26 AM »
Thanks for the top tips. It's great to have something to focus on when I go to view some bikes. Now back to eBay.

Cheers,
Greg
Honda CB400 1976
Suzuki GS1000 1978

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
Greg, came across this, may be obvious / old / outta date... but you may as well have it.
Simon

http://cb400f.webs.com/buyers-guide

ka-ja

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »
Hi,
    No-one has mentioned high numbers of previous owners, generallyspeaking, the more previous owners increases the risk of poor maintenance over the bikes lifetime, working on the principal that after a certain age of machine, you could be buying someone elses trouble.---ken

Offline Greg65

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:14:55 PM »
Thanks Lobo, that's a great link. I have printed one of the pages to take to a viewing as a check list.

Cheers,
Greg
Honda CB400 1976
Suzuki GS1000 1978

Offline ewanhughes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 09:30:49 PM »
As well as the Haynes manual, I found this parts list invaluable when I was rebuilding my 400four

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400f-england_model14639/partslist/?model_q=cb400

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal