Author Topic: Refurbished rear wheel  (Read 1664 times)

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
  • Gone but not forgotten.....
    • View Profile
Refurbished rear wheel
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:33:48 PM »
Just thought I'd share with you some of my prep for my MOT & hopefully some fine Spring weather.

My 550 rear wheel was in a sorry state; rusty & a couple of broken spokes, heavily rusted chrome rim, cracked hub lining.
Over the winter I hunted down an original wheel with great chrome, sound spokes & hub - an American import I'm told.
- trouble is there's a lot of sand in those American 'dry states', gets everywhere!

It needed stripping & a thorough cleaning & new bearings.
So now i've fitted  a new tube & Dunlop TT100 - keeps that classic look.
Re-lined brake shoes courtesy of Villiers Services - better than some unknown brand on flea bay
SKF Precision bearings -  ;D
Checked & cleaned cush drive rubbers
a general clean & degrease of the hub
- Now we're ready to roll.
I hope Mr MOT-man agrees next week!

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Refurbished rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:41:44 PM »
Lovely work there...great job and thanks for sharing. Mind if i ask the cost of relining the shoes with villiers?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Refurbished rear wheel
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:08:31 PM »
What you doing/done with the old hub / wheel?
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:08:59 PM »

James:     Villiers service re-lining cost £17-95 :
http://villiersservices.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_99&products_id=146

matthewmosse:  I plan to hang on to the old hub/wheel for now; I may have a crack at getting the hub re-lined; I may even practice at re-spoking the wheel rim (something I've always wanted to do but been too 'scared' to do on a 'real' wheel).
- not that I don't have plenty of jobs to do!

PS: had a great test run out today around the cotswolds in this fine sunny weather; rear brake a lot lot smoother, not 'grabby' at all.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »
Good to hear you're holding onto it, too often I hear of them getting slung in the scrap. Re lining a drum is quite satisfying - though probably given the price Paul jackson charges, the diy route is probably a poor use of time even set against nat min wage.
Nice bike by the way. Oh, and thanks for sharing the link about re lining brake shoes, always handy info to have, especially as I have 3 sets on my smaller sohc bikes where the linings have fallen off (and one set of front brake pads)- makes me doubt the pattern chineese stuff.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:45:53 AM »
Andy, it is easy to lace-up the rear wheel. Just think of it as a jigsaw puzzle. Lace-up the rear wheel then use the swinging arm as a stand to get it in line. I have found this the easiest way, as that is where the wheel will end up.

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »
just to close out my original thread.

MOT today - PASSED!

good to go for another year...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal