Author Topic: brake shoes  (Read 2202 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
brake shoes
« on: March 10, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »
I fitted new brake shoes at the weekend, fitted being the operative word.  The pattern ones from Dave Silver Spares do not fit properly and I had to file a small amount of aluminium off each one in order to fit into the brake cam and also to have enough gap to get split pin to go through.  Not very good.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:07:38 PM »
I had a set that the friction material was stuck on lopsided, the pattern ones are sometimes not the best quality. Could be worse, I've had brake pads have the linings just drop off when I changed a wheel, then 2 months back I had the rear linings un glue themselfs and lock the rear wheel, on both my 125 when I was riding, luckily right by some traffic lights and at very low speed, on the 250, even luckyer, as it was when I was changing the tyre again. I'm building a proper shed to keep the weather off the bikes now, in the hope that I stop having all these mishaps.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »
Said it b4 say it again all the pattern stuff I have bought is CRAP.I can not think of anything that fitted without grief,even pattern indicators are too big for genuine stubs.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:38:43 PM »
Ha, but the OEM wiring loom was not up to standard. What i can't understand Bitsa, is why didn't you make your own loom.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
Too bone idle resting on oem laurels but to be fair not hard to fix.We all know about resting on laurels they went bust.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 06:45:37 PM »
I should say, I'm not totally sure where my brake shoes came from, might have come with a bike or from a well known supplier, I don't keep records of this stuff, or have not in the past at any rate as genrally speaking I'm used to wearing stuff out rather than returning it, however I do think it would be handy to know if these shoes have a shelf life, and what that might be.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 08:30:30 PM »
Matthew, I have had friction material come off too.  Once, riding to Exeter the rear brake came on really hard at about 60MPH, slowed me down to a standstill.  After that the wheel wouldn't turn.  The only answer was to slacken off the brakes completely and take the shoes out. 

Makes me think I should have bought a few sets of genuine ones while they were still available, arrgghh

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:48:55 PM »
I belive Venhills do re lining - read it on here a few days ago I think, might be better and cheaper. I think damp getting behind the lining may be where it starts, I'm quite used to finding it on old project bikes where one end of the shoe just starts to lift, trouble is I'm finding it more on my regular bikes, I think it may be partly as I've not been keeping them indoors the past few years.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 08:32:31 AM »
I keep mine outside and I'm sure that is the problem.  I replaced the current shoes as a precaution because the bike had been standing for a while and the shoes looked corroded.

ka-ja

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 09:14:52 AM »
Hi,
     i too had my  rear linings drop off the shoes when I stripped the bike after being stored in the damp. I don't think that is a matter of cheap after market products only, as mine were original shoes, it's more a case of glue fatigue and alloy oxidation, or alloy oxidation because of the glue. There is a lot to be said for good old fashioned copper rivets they used to use, I have even re-lined shoes myself, although rivits did squeal a bit if the linings got worn too far.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »
I'm giving serious thought to if I could do that with mine. Mostly it is re assuring that there is something I can do about it by building a shed to keep them dry most of the time, though as they get used for going to work for sleep in shifts wet is something they'll have to live with, but I might make dropping the wheel a pre and mid winter service job, not too much of a hardship, tyre change should take care of one of those and chain service / replacement means I'm often in there in any case.

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
  • Gone but not forgotten.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
As I posted only last week:   http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=6300.0
& its early days yet, but I had my shoes re-lined at Villiers Services.

At least there was no problem installing the shoes at the first attempt (unlike those DS pattern shoes florence mentioned).
- done 50+ miles and they feel fine.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »
I think it was EBC shoes I got last time. 4500 miles so far.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal