Author Topic: fitting a pattern seat  (Read 3998 times)

Offline TonUp

• View Profile
fitting a pattern seat
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:48:48 PM »
I have recently acquired a CB550F2, it came with a pattern seat 'fitted'. It rocks backwards and forwards pivoting on the lock / hinge bracket. None of the rubbers touch the frame.

Anyone got any tips on getting it to fit better? I have adjusted the lock pin as short and tight as possible and this has improved things a little. I might try relocating the hinge bracket next.

A simple fix (or so I thought) would be to remove and pack the rubbers but they are riveted on.  :-\

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: fitting a pattern seat
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:52:49 AM »
Drill the rivets out and use self tappers.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:05:01 PM by LesterPiglet »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline s7paul

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:37:02 PM »
I bought one of those for my 500 (assuming it's the one with the fibreglass base). It looked great, but never fitted properly.  They clearly went to a lot of bother to tool-up and make it, but the problem was that the seat base was the wrong height in relation to the frame tubes, so when you bolt the hinge on (which governs the vertical position of the seat) it sits too high.  Also, as you say, the rubber feet are in the wrong place and/or the wrong thickness, so they don't all touch the frame. Consequently the seat tends to rock.

I eventually got fed up with it, sold it, and bought one of the replica seats with a metal base from CMS.  It fits much better; the only compromise being that it doesn't have Honda written across the back (because Honda stopped people using their name on reproduction items).

Offline TonUp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 10:51:01 PM »
A friend of mine has offered to make some nylon spacers for the seat. I will update later when I get it sorted.

Offline TonUp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:16:11 PM »
update: A mate of mine made the spacers;
5 black nylon spacers;
13mm thick, 25mm diameter, 5mm center hole

Drilled out the rivets then used some self tappers to fix spacer with a bung to the seat. Result! Seat fits perfect now.  :D

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »
Shame the bone heads that go through all that trouble to re produce them can not do that and get it right.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:45:39 AM »
Why do people even try to fit a patten seat when there are nice NOS ones about. As Bitsa will tell you, this is a fair price for a bit of luxury for your arse.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111330860607?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »
Two hundred and fifty pounds!  My heretofore 'practical' classic is fast becoming rather an impractical one.  I'm furious.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:32:52 AM »
Why do people even try to fit a patten seat when there are nice NOS ones about. As Bitsa will tell you, this is a fair price for a bit of luxury for your arse.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111330860607?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Some people are on a budget. There's no way I could justify spending £250 on a seat.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
i bought of ebay a pattern seat which was advertised for a k3, not sure what it fits but not a k3, guy has since vanished off ebay

cost me 50, would like to get as close to my money back once i found out what its for i will offer on here

i know have the original base for mine so need money for foam and cover

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »
Guys,
A few years back I bought a pattern seat from DS.At first I thought the quality was and looked real good until I tryed to open it.If I could get the seat a third open that would be generous it crashed up against the oil tank cap.Got frackin annoyed cos Again went against my judgment on replica shit and sold it on eBay for the same as I paid for it.So decided to rebuild the old one and have to say came out real good.Now on the question of 250 quid seat Yes would love to have as I think new tank,side panels and seat looks the balls.Am I on a budget no but I am not rich as Trig said one of his clients broke down the price of silencers into a reasonable quest.I still work albeit for not a lot but that seat is for me a months private pension.There is absolutely nothing where I live to spend my money on apart from fags,petrol and booze some will say wow some wont.250 Quid is cheaper than DS,USA etc but would I pay more NOOOOOOOOOOO.My passion only goes so far as what I spend my olde lady spends and we and she do not need frack all.
Cheers
Bitsa
PS Trig about your arse spot on
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
250 quid? Sodding mad. I'd be hammering out some tin or laying fiberglass and cutting up old sofa cussions before I spent that. It's how me and my mates solved seating issues on our bikes fairly often. Most of my bikes now have plastic bases appart from the 500 and 550 projects that all have original or well used ones,that were nos 10 years ago. Whatever happened to the age old wrapping a bin bag over the seat with a bungy cord repair?
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
Matthew
If that's your scene go for it but some like the best or remember the best.In this world you came in with f all and you go out with f all.Your choice man.You work like hell all your life and if your bike or bikes is your thing why leave anything to family who will sell or dump your pride and passion or piss it up the wall. I am not saying all do this but for me I am taking no chances.By the way if you do not want the seat whats bugging you?If that's what you do I dont think I would buy a bike from you no malice intended.
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »
Note. I would happily carry on riding a bike like that, I would only sell a bodged bike with the,bodges declared, or do a,proper repair. Probably why I have 14 or so project bikes and have only ever sold on 3 bikes. However things like seats, well they come up cheap eventually, even if you need to buy a base, foam and a cover each in seperate years. I think all my project 500's got seats this kind of ways appart from the outfit that had a nos one thanks to the last owner.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
Everyone to their own, many of us have these bikes as a hobby so spend money to improve them and spend time tinkering, some still use them as daily transport and want to keep the running costs down and if its not all shiny they are not bothered. There is room for both types in our SOHC world, and if I had the money and really wanted a nos seat I would probably pay £250.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal