Author Topic: Anyone bought parts from DK?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Anyone bought parts from DK?
« on: March 13, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »
Bought a pair of carbs for CB350k, sold for 'spares or repair' from DK. They had obviously stripped them down already and not sure the pair were even from the same bike, as screws loose missing and insides were trashed, so really not much in the way of 'spares' inside them !! Why can't these people just describe things honestly and not go selling stuff for real money that's only fit for the skip?  Going to get used stuff from Germany in future if at all possible, everything I have bought from there has spot on, in terms of price, honest description, delivery costs and quality. Shame!

Cheers .... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Eric Frith

• View Profile
Re: Anyone bought parts from DK?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »
I'm afraid that is the normal service from DK, although once I did buy something that was good and the right price (just the one thing though)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
Phone DK and explain before giving bad feed back. I got a rear light bracket from them once, phoned up to complain and the sent me a NOS one as a replacement. 

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
Bought a brake caliper once, that was fine and price ok, but as a rule the prices put me off - too close to the price of a complete bike, historically -these days even trashed bikes cost a lot with the cb 500/550sohc type machines that I like (have ridden a cb750 with the 4 chrome pipes, found it a bit big for the roads we have ound my part of the world. ) I'm afraid I've found breakers + dealers seem to offload unfit junk off ebay. I've had a few things that are a bit shoddy / deliberately miss described etc and all have been from some form of dealer trading on ebay - one pretending he was selling left over tools off a house renovation, several others being breakers. I've only had one bad expirience off private buyers or sellers in 600 odd transactions - item never showed, seller vanished, but that was £10 inc post, paid by cheque. Complain to seller, take it from there. If they knew of a fault, they should describe it , not just say spares or repairs. Bought a cylinder head once that was spares or repairs - photo was taken with camshaft in place (not included in sale though) when it arrived it was scrap as it had been oil starved and the bearing surfaces were chewed up, they tried to tell me the valves and collets were worth the bidding price but eventually coughed a partial refund. Not Dk but similar outfit, name escapes me now, don't think they trade on the bay now.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:10:58 PM »
Phone DK and explain before giving bad feed back. I got a rear light bracket from them once, phoned up to complain and the sent me a NOS one as a replacement.

Yes will do, you can't leave Neutral feedback for 7 days anyway. Just a shame they can't be upfront and honest with their descriptions. On a better note, I have bought parts from freddythefatfrog only once but his parts were spot on, not particularity cheap, but there again neither are DK's.

Cheers... AshD
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:12:32 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
I've bought a couple of things off them,  used the make an offer both times and got parts at a good price  :), only had 1 issue bought the early 750 metal tool tray and the first one had a crack in it, sent a message on ebay and they sent me another FOC  8), cheers Mick. ;)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »
I have had lots of stuff from them, i would say 95% has been good and they accept reasonable offers and often have free postage,
however 1 item i had to send back, and another was total shyte but i swallowed the loss and said nothing, on the whole i would say they are good, usually top price though
pete

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »
What is DK?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 07:00:07 PM »
I actually bought one of my 750's from them worth every penny
I find buying of eBay is always a gamble.
I have bought a handful of parts from DK and only had one iffy item after emailing them I received an instant refund.
They seem to be selling Jap imports now and they seem well overpriced.

Lester there a motorcycle dealer and importer

Mick   
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »
Is there a link? It's all very vague.   :)
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
Not bought much from them but what I have has been ok.Not the cheapest but if they have it and you need it WTH.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 10:24:49 PM »
Seems mixed views then. I bought some  wheels from them years ago and everything was fine. But to put together two separate carbs from different bikes, which they have obviously taken apart and decided are trashed and not put this in the description is deception in my book. If they just took them off a bike and sold them without disassembling but cheap , that would have been more acceptable, as you would be taking 'pot luck' but these had been selected as looking good on the outside but knowing they are rubbish on the inside  (really badly corroded /split diaphragm/crushed floats etc.) They take oodles of high res photos , all of them similar but why not take one whilst they have it apart too?

On the US site they have a section for good and bad traders, maybe we need one on here in a separate section. Steve?

Cheers ... AshD

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
Quite agree ash  good and bad sellers section maybe, i think that was out of order what they sold you without describing them properly, sometimes they think buyers are so desperate that they will buy anything when its rare
Have you contacted them?
pete

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Anyone bought parts from DK
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »
I've been disappointed, more than once, with a well known 2nd hand parts dealer, whose description of mint, excellent etc are a couple of notches above mine. On a recent debacle he was adamant his re-chromed (badly) brake pedal was 'mint'; and didn't agree he should take it back. I wrote him & said, "tell ya what, I'll respect your anonymity, but post a pic of it on the SOHC forum with your description - for all the hardened restorers to see. If they agree with you I'll shut-up & accept it, if not I want a refund"
Got my refund there & then... thank you Steve for this great website.

It's been a steep learning curve. If I want something new & shiny I now tend to keep it simple, and use DSS / NOS / new pattern parts. And yes it bloody hurts the pocket, but I subscribe to Bitsa's ethos. (Ie can't take it with me, and it's my pleasure etc). If I want hidden bits which will clean up nicely I'm more than happy to take a punt with whoever's got the bit.

Ash - post a picture - it'll get back you can be sure!

Simon
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:25:41 AM by Lobo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal