Author Topic: fork drain screw bolt sheared  (Read 12205 times)

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: fork drain screw bolt sheared
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »
well i tried the left hand drill went in so far and promptly snapped came out a touch, 1 thread now showing .......

so try 2 is next with the other tool now....... :-\ on order

so bike on hold

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 10:55:34 PM »
...progress then Mike! At least is come out a bit versus gone deeper. If you've a small Dremel any chance of cutting a slot in the exposed bolt - enough for a screw driver to get purchase on? Whatever...don't rush the job.

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »
Drill a small hole in it an hammer an old torx bit into the hole,plenty of easing oil.
And remove slowly,
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 07:51:44 AM »
its starting to break up so I stopped awaiting this tool to turn up that was recommended

I will get it out

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 08:18:13 AM »
a review of the screwfix grabbit from screwfix website, dunno how acurate it is but does suggest its not ideal for your application:                                                                                                                                            "First, I don't doubt this is a good product for removing screws with damaged heads, etc. It will probably also remove damaged bolts that are not too well stuck. However, my need was to remove a M8 bolt where the head had sheared off and this product was no use for that.

The grabit's instructions show it being used to remove a bolt where the head has sheared off, but as soon as you start to use the product it is clear that it is not designed for that. I rang up their technical support and they said it is not designed for where the head has sheared right off, even though this is exactly what is shown in the picture in the instructions!

They suggested I drilled in to the bolt and use the grabit in the drilled hole. I did that, applied a medium amount of pressure and the end of the grabit sheared off.

It is clearly not made for removing bolts where the head has sheared off. The instructions they give just won't work on such a bolt and the product is not strong enough for this because any bolt stuck enough for its head to shear off is going to need some force to shift it and the grabit won't stand anything near that force.

The grabit is probably very good for removing screws in wood and plaster around the house, but don't make the mistake of thinking this is an engineering product for removing bolts stuck in metal. I think this product is being mis-sold and Screwfix might want to take that up with the manufacturer."
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

ka-ja

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
Hi,
     The fact it has moved gives hope, if the drilled hole is deep enough, an old engineering trick is to gently tap in a suitably sized file tang and ease it out, but beware with any tapped in extractor not to swell the the screw and make it tighter!           Ken

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 09:48:17 AM »
i saw that review, but there others saying it worked for them ... so i guess try it and see  :-\

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »
"
They suggested I drilled in to the bolt and use the grabit in the drilled hole. I did that, applied a medium amount of pressure and the end of the grabit sheared off.
"

...which is what can easily happen and leaves you in a worse place than when you started. They seem awfully brittle things.

I have had more success with careful drilling successively larger sizes.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »
the only thing with going bigger is left hand drill bits are not cheap

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
If i knacker this can i put inserts into aluminium ?

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 11:19:15 AM »
if this new tool does not work , how do inserts work then , these are 6mm by 10mm bolts

what size insert would i have to order

ka-ja

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »
Hi,
    The inserts are basically a diamond section coil, the "hole" needs to be drilled to the correct size and tapped out with a "dedicated" tap, and the insert then screwed in with a mandril, you end up with the thread back to its original size, you can buy inserts, but are better off starting with an insert kit that contains inserts,drills and mandrils.

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »
What i am confused about is the depth ?

is this the full kit needed, goes down 8mm, cant seem to find a 10mm version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-Piece-Helicoil-Thread-Repair-Kit-M6-x-1-0-x-8-0mm-/310678382294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4855dfe6d6#ht_1761wt_952

ka-ja

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
Hi,
    You may need to enquie at a tool shop, but if you get desperate mybe we can sort something, try googling for metric helicoil set-------Ken

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal