Author Topic: fitting a replica k3 seat  (Read 3213 times)

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
fitting a replica k3 seat
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »
bought this off ebay ages ago and was told it came off a k3 and bought from ds ( fibre glass base )

went to dry fit this today and its miles off, will post up some pics later, no way this came off a k3

still have original pan so may attempt to fix that, can you still get foams and original covers for them?

would like to hear peoples stories on fitting replica seats

thanks

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: fitting a replica k3 seat
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »
some pics,

does the replica ds have different mounting points for the catch that goes into seat lock ?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »
That is indeed way off by the look of it, fraid I remember stuff all about the seat fit, one of my k3's had the right seat, but it was rotten, I rivetted a bit of alloy to what was left and it was very comfortable (rode around Scotland by scenic routes and back, taking a week, did the return trip in a day, felt fresh as a fresh thing when I got home) and it just about looked ok. The other bike had n seat so I bought a genuine old base off a US inport from California Connection in Derbyshire, the foam and cover were almost totally trashed, but I built up the eroded foam with an inch of foam out of an old caravan matress cut to shape with a breadknife and made a used a pvc cover off M&P but it was a bit lame, I've made lots since that were just as good or better out of black pvc from the fabric shop which costs about £2 per seat, rather than £20 and that was a decade ago. I've never got near a pattern seat and probably not going to need to given how many spares I have.
I wonder if you could move the hinges and / or seat lock to make it fit?
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 02:02:31 PM »
not only that the base comes into contact with the inner guard as well

not sure on moving seat lock as it does not look like any of the  mounting points for the seat catch would line up with catch on the bike

all in all a disaster for me

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:29:41 PM »
Yeah, I see what you mean, leaves you with a seatbase where the most you can say about it is what it doesn't fit. I hava a suzuki one like that in the loft, that came with my 550k3, might be off a suzuki gt180 tripple or somit that the seller also had for sale in the same shed, who knows, mind you it is a better fit on a k3 than what you have. If your lucky then some carefull surgery with a kitchen knife might make the pattern foam fit the proper seat base. I don't suppose you can send the pattern seat back for a refund? Probably too long ago. I've over the years had to chop about a few seat foams to fit the wrong seatbut I'm only ever intersted in a comfy perch, never a restored / authentic finish, though a tidy job is nice.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:02:14 PM »
the seat base is the original base off the k3 , it had a large chunk cut out of the foam and it and was rotten as was the seat cover

so I guess either foam it and buy a cover or look for another original seat    :-\
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:33:24 PM by MikeM »

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 07:28:07 PM »
A few years back I got a 750 replica seat from DS.Looked the bizz until you opened it crashed on top of the oil tank cap.Crap I thought sold it and rebuilt the original base blasted resprayed and new cover with chrome trim bloody good.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »
I am thinking about going down the fixing of original but how do I sort out the foam ? I have no original foam to go by

is it that important to correct shape of the foam ?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:36:46 PM by MikeM »

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 07:40:08 PM »
Mike,
Luckily for me the foam was in good condition so no problem there but because I have the 750 I have seen foams for it on eBay USA I am sorry to say tax etc.
Maybe chance your luck over there they do seem to have everything annoyingly.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »
Bob the seat does foam for the K3, if you ask him nicely. But does cost.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
Mike,
The one on ebay looks shit to me bide your time mate.Do not know bob the seat.
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 08:05:50 PM »
Bob the seat is Morretti. If you key in bobtheseat on ebay it will come up with his shop but, it will not show seat foam. So best email him at morrettidirect.
I did a seat for my F. Seat pan from the states £82. Foam £56. Cover £10.50 bid.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 09:07:02 PM »
Mike, the seat you are trying to fit is not K3. Looks more like a CB350F.

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:29 PM »
yeah I bought it as a 550k3, once I have for definite what it is I will sell it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal