Author Topic: Frame with no VIN  (Read 3550 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Frame with no VIN
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »
 I have a spare '69 CB250 SS (K0) frame. I bought the bike for parts ages ago for my resto and don't need the frame but it's got no VIN stamped into the headstock. I have the V5 for the bike in my name and there is a VIN number on it. If someone used this on a bike would it ever get an MOT?. I reckon it must have been crashed early on and the frame replaced and never stamped, when repaired. Later Hondas in the UK like the 400/4 had an aluminium VIN plate (as used earlier in the US) in addition to the stampings in the headstock but I don't think you can get one for the early 250.

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Frame with no VIN
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:19:14 PM »
Over the year's i have build thousands of engines, and in that time i have come across 3 or 4 engines that had no numbers. I don't mean someone had ground it off. These had been missed in production.
 As for frame numbers, i had a bike in for an MOT sum years ago which never had a stamped number, only the VIN plate. I phoned the ministry for advice because i had never come across it before. The answer was: If it is displaying a VIN number then it is not a problem.
I will have to check  for up to date information to see if it has changed. Because this must have been at least 20 years ago. 

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 10:45:34 PM »
I am pretty sure I have at least 1 if not 2 engines for assorted bikes that have no number stamped or anything to indicate there ever was an engine number - totally blank, still having the cast finish. I don't think I have any frames like that though.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »
OK Ash, just checked my up to date instruction manual. It states : The vehicle needs a vehicle identification number. Under: Motorcycle Testing section d) Lower the front wheel and go to right side of vehicle and check: Frame, VIN, Seat and front rest exhaust system, Final drive ect, ect.
So no mention of a stamped VIN number on the head stock. So i would pass if it was displaying a VIN number on a plate or stamped into the head stock but, would fail if it was not displaying any identification number.
I know what to do about this problem you have, seeing you have the VIN number but, can not advise.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 11:23:40 PM »
Also found  up date which states: The VIN number must be : 1) Permanently displayed
                                                                                                2) Consistent
                                                                                                3) Legible
The good news is i found a highlighted section at the bottom of this page which states ; The above is required on all vehicles first used on or after 1st August 1980.
Hope this helps Ash.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »
Ash i sugest you stamp the number on yourself, last year i was at the dvla office in maidstone getting a bike inspected for registering, the guy before me had bought a harley in for them to examine and check the numbers and details so he could register it, the examiner made the comment that it was not the usual font on the headstock and it was likely that someone had stamped it , he was not implying it was stolen or such , he just noted verbaly that it was not the usual, and just shrugged his shoulders and went ahead with the paperwork, seems like people are not to bothered these days as long as there is a number on it
pete

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 11:54:44 PM »
Well done Pete, You can say it but i am not allowed to ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 12:30:07 AM »
If you replace a frame with a new one ypu are legaly entitled to stamp in the number from the old frame (except one make where EVERY frame has a different number), Therefore Ash, as i am certain you purchased this NOS frame quite a long time ago, you are OK to stamp in the Vin Number using whatever stamps are available as nobody has matching Honda ones!!

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 03:41:02 AM »
Sorry I didnt read through all the posts. I bought a new frame, stamped my own numbers from the original green log book and there wasn't a problem.
First MOT I said it was a new frame. I think it was aye ok.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 03:48:24 AM by LesterPiglet »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 09:50:16 AM »
Thanks guys, sounds like I am OK to stamp it then. It's a '69 bike anyway so well before 1980.
My '69 built 750K0 has a blank engine no. pad too because it suffered the dreaded chain breakage early on and had cases replaced under warranty. You can see evidence of this in the plastic chainguard 'cos its got two cuts in it.

Thanks for all of your advice .... Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
Good call Bryan. It could of been a new replacement back in about 1969. The frame would not have come with a blank VIN plate, as this is another part number. After the frame was replaced the owner at the time could not find a set of stamps. The cheapest solution would of been to by a VIN plate and glue it on. Over the years the plate fell off.
Nothing wrong with that story.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »
Good call Bryan. It could of been a new replacement back in about 1969. The frame would not have come with a blank VIN plate, as this is another part number. After the frame was replaced the owner at the time could not find a set of stamps. The cheapest solution would of been to by a VIN plate and glue it on. Over the years the plate fell off.
Nothing wrong with that story.

Don't think UK bikes around '69 had a separate VIN plate only USA bikes had them.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »
Not too sure about Honda's but, my mother has a 1963 Lambretta that she has had from new with a VIN plate.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »
Sorry meant Honda bikes in '69 had no VIN plate. yet American ones did.

Cheers ... AshD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal