Author Topic: Starter Motor  (Read 1262 times)

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Starter Motor
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:55:36 AM »

The starter motor on my K0 is a bit sluggish, it will start it when warm but it always feels like it's struggling even though the battery is good.  (The compression does feel surprisingly strong on the kick start)

I would like to find a nice clean starter from a low miler and just substitute it rather than fettle the existing one.....and there are loads for sale.

Problem is, most are from much later models.  Were any changes made to the starter motor which would prevent a K2 to K7 starter from slotting straight into a K0 crankcase?  Are the later ones better?.......were they improved over the years of production?  Are there better starters from different bikes that fit?  anyone got any knowledge of these please?

Mick..........kettle738   

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Motor
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 07:31:14 AM »
mick think i have one with the lead cut off you can have if you want, i will see if its still there, if so its yours to have
pete

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 07:40:01 AM »

Hi Pete, thank you, that's very kind of you.......zero urgency though, next time I see you would be great.

If it gets urgent I'll ride over to yours.

I notice we have a new CB750 (sandcast IIRC) owner in Dover......we should take a ride over there some time.

Best.............Mick.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:44:14 PM »
Worth making sure that your earth lead and conections are up to the job as they can significantly slow the motor down when not conducting properly.

I've often doubled car earth straps to the engine and it makes a surprising difference, try putting your hand onto the main earth when the starter is struggling and if the lead is warm that'll tell you it could be limiting the starter current.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 05:32:03 PM »

Hi Pete, thank you, that's very kind of you.......zero urgency though, next time I see you would be great.

If it gets urgent I'll ride over to yours.

I notice we have a new CB750 (sandcast IIRC) owner in Dover......we should take a ride over there some time.

Best.............Mick.

Its that time of year i drag out some of my classics and put them back on the road, i might do the K1 next then i will bring up the starter motor to you, that is if i can find it
Yes i see his sandcast it was in wills van when they dropped off the K0 engine to me , he was on his way to dover to drop it off

Offline neat street

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 01:48:54 PM »
As already mentioned, check the earth leads first, and also the solenoid as both of these would create the issues you describe. Had the same problem with a Mini, new starter, new battery, then found dodgy earth.
John
CB500 1973
CB750F 1976
KLX250 1983
Lambretta SX200
Mini Mayfair 1984

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »

check the earth leads first, and also the solenoid as both of these would create the issues you describe

Will do, thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

Mick...........kettle738

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 01:29:23 AM »
If you'd like to retain the original starter, and the connections etc are found to be good you could strip it down, put the spindle in an electric drill & clean the commutator with fine emery. After this get a hardwood pick & scrape out all the carbon lodged in the commutator slots. And perhaps treat it to new brushes (DSS I suspect). Nothing too skilful here, just an hour or two of your time.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »
i found my spare starter mick, i will email you when i am passing by and drop it in for you
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal