Author Topic: Brake lever travel  (Read 1233 times)

adrian58

Brake lever travel
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
Hi, I have a lot of travel in the front brake lever on my 1973 K2 before it starts to work (nearly to the handlebar). Have bled it several times but doesn't seem to make it much better.The pads have plenty of meat on them and the one inside the caliper is nice and free as is the arm pivot and the piston. Is this the norm or is there some adjustment I'm missing. Thanks Adrian.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Brake lever travel
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »
What condition are the hoses in? Maybe they are old and swelling under pressure.
Just a thought.

Cheers .... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »
Try tying the lever to the bars overnight after you have made sure they are bled properly. This has worked for me on numerous occasions.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:36:30 AM »
Maybe a silly question but have you adjusted the caliper correctly, 6thou clearance between the fixed pad and the disc? Incorrect setting here can cause the symptoms you describe:))

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:05:35 PM »
Hi Adrian,

I started "this thread" last year with my CB400F2, which had exactly the same symptoms. New pads, new (OEM) hoses... and loadsa good advice from this forum.... all to no avail. I was extremely suspicious coz one old Honda (750K2) had a lever you could barely move, whilst the 400 lever would come right back to the bars. Lost count of how many fresh litres of DOT # went through it's pipes.

Anyways, ordered a DSS master cylinder servicing kit, and, well Bob's your uncle. New seals etc, & 35 yrs of crud & varnish cleaned out of the m/c. All fixed now. Don't especially understand why... there was never any leaks. Simply, it was the only thing I hadn't tried.

If you go this route be prepared for a bloody nasty little circlip which will do its best to defeat you... tip of the day would be to get decent long nosed circlip pliers, and budget an afternoon...

Good luck,
Simon
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:15:38 PM by Lobo »

adrian58

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:23:56 PM »
Brilliant fix from Lesterpiglet, straping. the leaver to the handlebar overnight. Brake is better than it's ever been and a no effort fix.  Thanks again. Adrian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal