Author Topic: engine won't run off of choke  (Read 3427 times)

rookie

engine won't run off of choke
« on: August 01, 2006, 01:43:04 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to the board and new to Hondas. I've been looking for a bike for awhile and just got a deal I couldn't refuse and picked up my 1978 750K on Saturday. It hasn't been rode since 1979 and only has 566 miles on it. (That isn't a misprint!!). This thing is a time capsule. Now I'm trying to get it back in riding condition. I put new plugs in it, the oil has been changed, I took the bowls off of the carbs and cleaned them out and basically cleaned up the carbs the best I could without totally diassembling them. I got it started. The problem is when I turn the choke off it dies immediately. I can't keep it running without a choke. I am kind of leaning towards ignition problems. Any suggestions? Note: I checked the temperature of the pipes with a thermometer right after it was shutoff. #1 was 165, #2,3 and 4 were 105 deg F.

Post edited by: rookie, at: 2006/08/01 01:45

JonnyB

Re:engine won't run off of choke
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 08:52:06 AM »
Wow, not even run in yet, take it easy.

I would get the carbs balanced, most poor running problems can be traced to the carbs.

And of course check the valves and points gaps

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 12:24:24 PM »
If it won't run off choke then it must be running really lean (too much air or too little fuel.  My guess is clogged jets starving the engine unless you block the airflow with the choke.

You will have to disassemble the carbs and clean the jets, which is not really surprising after all those years.

John - it shows you as a visitor. Have you quit??

Post edited by: SteveD CB500F, at: 2006/08/01 12:24
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 03:42:57 PM »
John - it shows you as a visitor. Have you quit??

Post edited by: SteveD CB500F, at: 2006/08/01 12:24

The site got hacked last week, and I had a few problems, managed to save everyone s accoutn except mine :(
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

jimshea

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 09:41:22 AM »
Rookie,
Welcome.
Sounds like carbs, definitely not ignition... where are you based? UK or not??
Jim.

rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 11:47:35 AM »
Thanks for the help. I have the carbs off and will disassemble and soak them in carb cleaner tonight. Prior to taking them off I put some lucas fuel additive in the tank and ran it some more. I did get it to run without the choke but not very well at all. I'm still chasing it as a carb problem as you all have suggested. Makes perfect sense to me. By the way I am on the other side of the pond over in Illinois, USA. I'll let you know how I make out.

Post edited by: rookie, at: 2006/08/02 17:57

rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 03:59:41 PM »
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I disassembled the carbs and soaked them in carb cleaner for 24 hours. Rinsed them off and blew compressed air through every hole I could, then reassembled the carbs. Put them back on and the thing idles without the choke after it is warmed up. I still need to balance them but I am really close to having this thing back on the road after 27 years. Thanks again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal