Author Topic: to powder coat or not ?  (Read 945 times)

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
  • wheres the breaks on these cb 750's !
    • View Profile
to powder coat or not ?
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:29:34 PM »
Well everything is off the frame now on my k4 and because it's been in americy all it's life the condition of the frame is excellent - except for the battery box which needs repainting or spraying.

So my question is as the title says. Do I conform just because everyone else does ?
I've heard it can be a nightmare afterwards on rebuilds because of paint filling screw and bolt holes etc let alone the expense.

Your views please
Antony

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: to powder coat or not ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:04:15 AM »
I'm not a fan of powder coat they were never that good from new I'm the same with highly polished ally it looks good but it's just not right.

Mick   
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:20:11 AM »
I was in that dilemma a couple of months ago.
My frame paint was pretty dam good for an English bike, except the welds.
We have a fantastic black paint we use at work which i brushed on the small areas i cleaned up with a rotary
wire brush. T hen i scotch brited the rest and sprayed with Hammerite smooth.
Hammerite is no where as good as it used to be ,it's now very thin and takes a day in warm conditions to dry properly
but makes an acceptable finish. and only costs price of aerosol.If you would like a jar of the paint pm me your details.
 I agree with Mick on the highly polished covers ,they weren't like that originally.
I  saw a superbly restored cb500/4 on ebay,in ireland contacted the guy to comment that all of the shiny bits were as they were original
He gave me the contact who restored it for him and his method was highly polish, carefully scotchbright in the same direction and lacquer
i'm happy with mine. ;)
Rich
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 11:10:36 AM »
Rgp
Cant quite make it out is that a beezer in the background?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »
Mick, i have the same thought as you on powder coat. It hides any damage or bad rust on a frame. If i see a bike up for sale with powder, i move to the next one. The last frame i did was a USA import which was cleaned by using a wire wheel on a angle grinder. Took it back to bare and did not even find any surface rust. Then stove enameled the frame in satin black. NICE!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal