Author Topic: Pivot Brake Arm  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Pivot Brake Arm
« on: April 27, 2014, 12:53:41 PM »
I can always get the pin out of the caliper arm but, this one is stuck and will not budge. So far it has been soaked in WD40 for 24 hours. Had a large amount of heat fired at it and is still stuck. I don't really want to put it in the press because i think it will crack the top mount. Has anyone have any ideas?
Have been looking at past posts but, cant find anything.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Pivot Brake Arm
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 02:07:22 PM »
Any chance of a photo Trig?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Sorry Bitsa, Still have not worked out how to do that. Too much hi-tech for me.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »
A bit of carefully applied inpact can crack the corrosion enough to let the wd40 work it's magic, and I find mixing engine oil and wd40 works better as wd40 on it's own seems to dry out too easily - also I think some of their rivals have overtaken wd40 as king of the releasing agents. Best stuff I've ever used was a home brewed concoxion of old engine oil, carb cleaner, wd40, duck oil and stale fuel that was the result of using a caravan sink as a parts washer and catching the drain off into a oil can. Me and a mate applied this 'stuff' to dads old superdream, a bike that had been stood for years, brieflygot running for a year as a commuter and then been abandoned in a chicken shed for another 5 years. We dosed every bolt in and left it to soak a while before starting work and got that complete bike stripped down wth not a single snapped or rounded fastner even though it was coated in corrosive muck and my tool set was a cheap load of ****
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »
I think he means bolt that goes through the brake caliper swinging arm

correct me if I am wrong trigger

take it its seized in....... got mine out by soaking in diesel if same bolt

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:06:55 PM by MikeM »

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:50:57 PM »
Trig,
I think its in agreement that this is the bastard you mean.Yeah leave in soak for a few days give it a couple of belts try twisting it then soak and so on,Does free up eventually or buy this one and frac the hassle.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
WD40 is not a releasing agent.  ;) WD stands for water dispersant. Penetrating oil is required.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 07:40:25 PM »
Yep Mat, I ment WD40, plus gas, tap 2 and everything else i have in the workshop. It is soaking in warm diesel at the moment. Cheers for the picture Mike.
 And that is the Bastard i am on about Bitsa. Bitsa what is your arm from? Because there are two types, one is for the 750/ 550 and the other is for the 400/4 / 500T and the 250. Maybe others.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
Trig,
Dont know for sure but got it at last minute bid on ebay.de.Posted as cb750 when I got it was semi siezed soaked it put it into a vice and eventually came off.Now good as gold only bought for a spare will size it up with the one on my bike one day.
Cheers
Bitsa

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »
In workshop used to turn pin so that bracket was at right angles, close vice jaws to let bracket slide thro' but stop the top piece and knocked out with a pin punch and hammer, never broke one yet

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal