Author Topic: PA button  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
PA button
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »
This may seem a strange question. I have 2 CB550F's and both have a PA switch combined with the horn button but, no wires in the loom/harness to connect. So my question is does the CB550F have a PA button as standard?

Offline Steph550

• SOHC Associate
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: PA button
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
If by PA switch you mean the passing light button, mine has it - you press the button in for the horn, and sideways to flash main beam.

Steph.
1977 Honda CB550F2
1966 Honda CB77
1968 Triumph Tiger 90
1999 Honda VFR800Fi

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »
Cheers Steph, have the two wires coming out the switch gear but, nowhere for them to go. Can't seem to find them on any wiring diagram. 

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
Not us spec anymore. Oddjob ,would you know what the wire colours are for the PA? Have one uk F1 now and the sparky copied the loom/harness from that. Coming out of the switch we have: Blue, Brown/red, Brown/ blue, Brown/white, Gray, Light blue, Orange, Light blue/white, Orange/white and Light green. Sorry and a white. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:24:56 PM by trigger6969 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 07:11:34 AM »
I think the brown red is the power feed to the dip switch and connects to the RH switch which in UK is an on/off whilst on US works via the start button

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »
Cheers Oddjob and Bryan, Got another switch which seems to match. From the PA we have 1 Black, 1 Dark blue and a Light  green. From the indicator switch 1 Orange, 1 Light blue and a Gray. From the High low switch 1 White, 1 Black/yellow. Now, everything matches up to the loom but, the horn button which is the Light green doesn't work. Run a meter from the Light green to Black and have a reading when the button is pressed. Run a direct live and ground to the horn and it works.
Took the switch completely apart found no problems (nice and clean) cleaned it up to be on the safe side. Looked at a wiring diagram and it states that the horn switch is Light green and ground. Can get a reading across light green to ground and have a reading across light green and black, when the horn button is pressed.
Any ideas????

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »
Trig I have come across this problem before and have helped a couple of members before. The wiring diagrams in Haynes manuals are for the older type switch and don't apply to the  K3  or later f. The black wire supplies a + supply to the little plastic box at horn/pa switch, then the blue wire takes current to main beam when PA is pushed to the right, when button is pushed straight in the current goes via the light green wire to one of the terminals of the horn, then you need a short wire from the other terminal to earth on the horn mounting bolt. So it doesn't earth at the switch at all as the older type did, just to confuse the issue there is a spare black wire near the horn which should be left not connected to anything, I think its used on the US bikes as they don't use the PA system.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »
Mick, understanding you on the live feed Black, blue to head light and light green to horn. We found that out on the meter reading and when we stripped the switch. Not understanding your quote of "then you need a short wire from the other terminal to earth". What terminal are you on about Mick?
I did think it was down to the horn not being earthed to the frame, so i run another earth from the coils just to check but, it seemed to be the same.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
Cheers Mick, i think i know what you are saying now. What has happened is the Light green has become live at the horn switch, so what i have is 2 live wires going to the horn. I will have to pull the bullet on the black at horn and connect to earth. Or am i wrong???

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »
yes you are correct, in effect as it is now you have 2 positive feeds to the horn, one constant one via the black wire and another via the light green wire when the horn button is pressed. Remove the black wire from the horn and make a short wire to go from the terminal to earth, a mickwinf guarantee it will work!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 09:27:45 PM »
Cheers Mick, You are a diamond. See lady's and gent's that is what a forum is all about. Finding a answer to a problem that no bloody manual could ever explain. Just thought of a little business idea then, Forum Manual. "The answers that you will not find in a book".   

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »
Cheers Mick, You are a diamond. See lady's and gent's that is what a forum is all about. Finding a answer to a problem that no bloody manual could ever explain. Just thought of a little business idea then, Forum Manual. "The answers that you will not find in a book".
Like say "how to post pics on this forum"eh trig
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 09:59:57 PM »
Don't you start Norniron. I replaced your brothers folks. The ones you stole,lost or sold off. Didn't need any seen of the crime pictures for those.

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 10:10:23 PM »
Don't you start Norniron. I replaced your brothers folks. The ones you stole,lost or sold off. Didn't need any seen of the crime pictures for those.
He means forks all u folks
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »
Have you been to see my new slopper yet?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal