Author Topic: Spot what is missing from the rocker hood and why??  (Read 2566 times)

Offline simonster

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Spot what is missing from the rocker hood and why??
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:35:49 AM »
Under the cam chain cover of my mid-renovation '72 500 k1, I have what appears to be four absent 6mm bolts. I've heard some models don't use them to hold the rocker shafts but these are threaded down and clearly was intended to hold bolts about 50 mm length. I've had her running under nil load, so confused as to why they are absent and how it runs apparently fairly smooth on tickover!! Any suggestions would be greatly received?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Spot what is missing from the rocker hood and why??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:48:02 PM »
These four bolts were added to stop the cam shaft springing/bouncing so much. You find these on later models and on the 550. Though a 550K1 doesn't have the bolts. 

Offline simonster

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 06:03:34 PM »
Cheers trigger, but why would this cover have the bolt modification without the actual bolts being in place... I take it they aren't essential on the later models either?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:31:38 PM »
If it has the threads then someone may have forgot them.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:42:22 PM »
if I recall correctly the earlier type have the 4 screws inside the breather cover, according to my 500/4 parts book 6x32mm part number 95700 06032 and the later 550s have an extra 4 studs with nuts to stop the rocker shafts turning in their housing and wearing the holes oval. I am sure Bryan or Oddjob will tell you for sure.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »
Mick, They are not studs. The 550 has 4, 6x32 flanged bolts. But, you will have to ask one of the old boys the reason behind them. I am too young to know ;)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »
trig I have just had a look at my 550k3 parts book and you are right about the flanged bolt, looks like they changed from the earlier panhead screws, but also show 4 cotter pins to hold the rocker shafts with a nut on the top which is the ones I remember, so there will be 8 holes inside the breather area instead of 4, can just be seen on the pic in the parts book.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
  • Gone but not forgotten.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:36:34 PM »
See Service Bulletin #8.
Shows the addition of the 'cotter-pin' type retainers to prevent the rocker shafts rotating (on later rmodels)
Yes the four holes you show in your rocker cover photo are for four flanged retaining bolts, to attache to the cylinderhead;
later models as per the service bulletin introduce four more holes for the rockershaft retainers.
You do need to have bolts in your four holes on your rocker cover.

regards
Andy

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 01:49:51 AM »
If the holes are there something needs to fill them.
The missus tells me that and she isn't even an engineer.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline simonster

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 09:10:53 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and advice. They do take 6mm bolts however one has been cross threaded in the past....but this doesn't explain why all four are missing!! I will tap out the thread and refit...cheers guys

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
I suspect that they are missing because someone put the top cover on the cam cover, then bolted the cam cover on. This would explain the missing 6mm bolts. Other than that, i have no clue.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal