Author Topic: What price?? refurbished spoked hub and rims to fit a 500 k  (Read 1551 times)

Offline simonster

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
A simple question for members out there...is there a price range I should expect to pay or will it be stick to the mag wheels and not break the bank? Cheers for any replies.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: What price?? refurbished spoked hub and rims to fit a 500 k
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 12:48:29 PM »
As a rough guide I think I paid £300 for the ones on my 550 from someone breaking a project bike. Stainless butted spokes, powder coated rims and hubs, new wheel bearings, new tubes and new BT45 tyres. It was cheaper than having mine refurbed.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »
Look for a set of second hand wheels. Hubs for the rear are becoming hard to find.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 08:06:36 PM »
Hubs are possible to salvage if drum lining is cracked too, I do my own but there is a chap in Huddersfield who re lines them proffessionally at a very reasonable rate, too damn cheap for me to bother thinking of competeing with him, besides which I'm not a proso my moded projects don't get sold. Watch out for painted spokes as I've had a set where an unscruplulas individual had used the paint to hide bad pitting in the spokes which let go causing some rather odd handling and me to be late picking the wife up from the station while I waited for a spare wheel from home. Best is buying good used. They tend not to be cheap.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »
Hubs are possible to salvage if drum lining is cracked too, I do my own but there is a chap in Huddersfield who re lines them proffessionally at a very reasonable rate, too damn cheap for me to bother thinking of competeing with him, besides which I'm not a proso my moded projects don't get sold. Watch out for painted spokes as I've had a set where an unscruplulas individual had used the paint to hide bad pitting in the spokes which let go causing some rather odd handling and me to be late picking the wife up from the station while I waited for a spare wheel from home. Best is buying good used. They tend not to be cheap.

Do you have details of the Huddesfield chap Matthew?  I have a CB250K0 front hub that's cracked. I have another one but a shame to skip the cracked one as the 68/69 ones are rare items now.

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:39:53 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »
Paul Jackson Huddersfield Junction 23 M62

01422 378100

Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline simonster

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 09:28:06 PM »
I was hoping to buy decent front and rear hubs to refurb and add DSS rims and spokes and
lace them up myself..which I've done once before and took 8 hours for truing...!  But add to luck picked up a set on fleabag... already refurbed and described as immaculate from a guy in Washington Tyne and wear who was renovating a 500k and apparently lost interest to a BMW. I paid £390 which if as described iI will be happy with. I estimated about £200 a wheel to buy and refurb in any case. Thanks for the comments.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal