Author Topic: Old worn parts... what to do?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Old worn parts... what to do?
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:18:58 PM »
I am continually amazed by the stuff we guys hoard on here; ask for anything & someone will have it.  Bloody great...

But, there is a cost to this, ie the filling up of sheds, attics etc etc... where does it all end? 

Anyways, my point is, I've just had to change the fork stanchions of my '750 due pitting. And the big question is what do I do with the old ones... are they junk or somehow worth keeping? The officianardos on here might cry, "They're Honda, re chrome them!" ... but that's just more bloody cash I'll never get back.

So ladies / gents... do I hang onto my growing collection of rusty / pitted / worn out parts or take the advice of my frustrated missus & bin genuinely unserviceable parts as I replace them?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:21:37 PM by Lobo »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Old worn parts... what to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:30:48 PM »
Stand 12 ft away take one dodgy picture while slightly shaking the camera, then list on ebay with the briefest of descriptions saying , servicable item
Every other Fu-ker seems to that these days
pete

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:34:14 PM »

Stand 12 ft away take one dodgy picture while slightly shaking the camera, then list on ebay with the briefest of descriptions saying , servicable item
Every other Fu-ker seems to that these days
pete
:-) classic.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
I'd keep them on the basis that they can be re chromed on the 500/4 but for the 90's Honda 250  twin they'd probably be added to the usefull scrap metal bin next to the lathe as they would be great quality steel.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »
Lobo, send the stanchions to me. I always get them re-chromed then they go on my parts shelf.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 08:15:42 PM »
Downside to all this hoarding is that I have lost bits like seats and petrol tanks and wheels in the pile of hoarded stuff. I also no longer actually know how many bikes I own - result I'm having a clearout of bits - ebay and honest description but don't bother looking for sohc stuff as I reached the conclusion it's probably worth more to me with 4 project bikes to turn around, running with tax and test for me, not restored.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
Trigger, you have mail... I think. Basically if you're interested yours for postage & a pint... will need an address & could post tomorrow (Sat).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal