Author Topic: 400-4 valve spring installation - is there a right way up?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
At last I'm putting my 400-4 engine back together .. so far so good ... bottom end complete and on to the top ...
I saw mentioned somewhere that valve springs should be installed the right way up.  Is this so - and if so - how can you tell which is top and bottom as they look symmetrical to my untrained eye?

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 400-4 valve spring installation - is there a right way up?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:46:29 AM »
The tighter coiled end of spring goes to the bottom same with inner spring if I remember right.If I am wrong I am sure the 400/4 guys will put me right
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »
Thanks Bitsa .. just looked more carefully and indeed there is a tighter coil end that I did miss  :-[.  That also makes sense as on one of the springs it still has collet holding washer thing on the looser end.  Mind you - I have found much wrong from a previous top-end build which further reinforces the message that you cant rely on previous work actually being done right! Many thanks again.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:41:01 PM »
Your welcome and right never take any PO for being real unless he is a mate you know well.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal