Author Topic: Bizarre  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Bizarre
« on: May 16, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
Not knocking it but do have trouble getting my head around some things on this great site like saving money on wheel rebuilds buying guages to monitor the side to side variations of the rims and then a question about ridiculous over priced Honda points and buying shite pattern crap and then you wonder why they dont work right.Give me a break gents exactly where do your priorties lie?Looks good goes crap goes good looks crap?Can not understand some who struggle to keep all these fine bikes on the road (good for them) Then cheap skate on the more important stuff.Please enlighten me so I can understand you all.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 07:49:42 PM »
I have bought all Honda genuine parts.... expensive yes ...... does it fit right yes

I could not get a seat so tried the cheap route ..... did not work out .. so now recovered the original base

can understand the costs involved and we all have a budget but building this bike I have learned one major thing .... buy pattern and you take a chance ..... but some parts just not available

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 07:51:33 PM »
Understand? Does that include little old me? Bitsa, the world is full of different people (apart from Japan, where everyone is a clone) This is what makes this planet the way it is. You just see a different culture in Greece. If everyone bought OEM parts, you would struggle more to find them ;) It is just life.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:06:52 PM »
Mike
I was in your boat refused to pay more than 300 quid for a seat so took the same road as you blasted base resprayed and recovered and glad I did.Yes your right you pay your money and takes the chance if I can not get Honda I go without.Trig no, sounds your a pro and do this for a living so much harder.It would be so much easier if the dicks at Honda realised they started an era and choose not to back this up pratts.Yeah I know its life but still can not understand why manufactures can not get it right.Mike I know as I did I have a budget but I think that finished when I bought the exhaust system WTH cant take it with me bolloxs I am free.Missus will not agree to that but what she does not know dont hurt.Well thats my story.
Cheers Guys
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 09:28:07 PM »
I am just about to take on the task of building my wheels, my reason for doing this is not to save on money but to get the pleasure of restoring a classic motorcycle and undertaking as many of the tasks as i can , most of my K0 build is as far as possible restored  original parts or NOS Honda parts where available, rest of them are from DS , and the usual sources we all use on here, i recon thats what makes this a good site where we all go to different lenghts and take different approaches to get the same end goal,
pete

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »
scared to count how much I've spent on the cafe job ... but tried to go for quality and for OEM where replacing like for like .  Once I get finished I've got my 500 basket ase to start ... gonna take a different approach on that and absolute minimal spend I think
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 09:00:17 AM »
some people wish to restore, others wish to keep bike working.  Personally, I will even fit things from different manufacturers if necessary.  My bike has a horn from a Series Land Rover and the headlight is from a Jaguar 3.8 S.  The Ignition switch is from an Austin A35.  Anything to keep it working, recycling what is lying around in the workshop will always take priority for me. 

If people want to make their machine look as it did when it left the factory, I respect that too and good luck to them.  Surely we are all after the same thing in the end which is to enjoy these great and for me very cheap and practical motorcycles.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 10:32:42 AM »
One way of doing it.I on the other hand believe if you are going to do it do it right.
By the way I thought I was called Bitsa Florence.
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »
I guess I'm with Florence on this one. I like to personalise my bikes, so if it looks right, does a good job and doesn't cost a stupid amount of money, it goes on.

I can't get too hung up on Original stuff to the exclusion of everything else. Some things are better.  8)
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 12:43:51 PM »
Yes i am all for  if it looks right, does a good job and doesn't cost a stupid amount of money type of bike, infact many of my bikes are like that
here is one a proper rat bike

here is another

these bikes just get whatever it takes to keep them on the road, however i also collect bikes for investment and  to restore for a hobby
it is more benificial to have these type of bike maintained and restored with original parts and kept in extremely good condition, that way i get a good return when it comes to cashing in on my investments, the 750 K0 for example will be show condition, and only used in dry conditions, i suppose its every one to their own thats what makes the world go round
pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
One way of doing it.I on the other hand believe if you are going to do it do it right.
By the way I thought I was called Bitsa Florence.
Cheers
Bitsa
As for doing it right, i suppose it depends on how you look at it, i bet you do lots of work on your bike without taking it to someone else to do, so is that right or wrong,  say a wheel for example if it was rebuilt by the owner to the same standard as a shop then what is the difference, if its structurally sound and true to tollerence then all is good, same with brakes, fitting tyres, suspension etc all these things can be undertaken by the owner and done correctly / right,
pete

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »
I reckon you're being a little unfair Bitsa / too black & white etc. You're perhaps at the stage of life where your mortgage is zip & you can afford to buy the best... but many folk are simply 'not there' yet, balancing homes, kids, hobbies blah blah. It's just too simplistic to say, "only buy OEM"; time & money are just too big-a-factor.

Admittedly I too am at the stage of life where I can mostly afford OEM, and generally I agree with you. But, to be honest, (& I blame my mum & dad for this!) there is a certain thrill of 'getting a bargain'.... which might well encompass an evening in the garage tweaking things here & there to get a perfect fit. I don't mind... the alternative might be a wrist-slitting eve of bloody English telly, whatever.

And I too need new wheels, but am (sadly?) excited at the prospect at re-lacing them myself. I fully appreciate it may cost more in the long run... but that is not the point.

Horses for courses, each to his own I guess.

Simon

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
Guys
It is not what I am saying If you do not have a go yourself how are you going to get experienced?I suppose its the same with cheap spares again buy them spend a lot of time arsing about and then go what a waste that was.Its ok for that if you are young but at my age I want it to start go, look and sound nice.True not all are my generation and right each to there own but I for one would sooner ride it than frack about with substitutes.Whatever floats your boat ok I think I know what some think.Did not mean to offend anyone but if you can afford it do it and reap the benifits.
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 11:12:07 PM »
It's transport first, a classic second. I have fitted pattern rear mudguards made of fiberglass, they'll last longer and survive winter use. the pattern exhaust is affordable so I'll have that, the K&N filter fitted by previous owner made it produce more power and run better and is cheaper than replacing a ceaner element reguarly so that is getting re instated. When I bought my 500's they were barely credible as classics and more seen as cheap bangers, but the style floated my boat. I can appriciate (near) perfect restored machines using all OEM parts, with immaculate chrome and paint, but they aren't what I'd want to own myself - I need something that I can park on the street outside work overnight. That way I can really enjoy going to and from work, with 2 kids and a wife to take up my time a bike that couldn't do that wouldn't get used not to mention I've rarely had time to go for a ride just for the sake of it, even before the kids. Some pattern parts are rubbish, but if you clock up milage commuting you rapidly learn which parts are rubbish quality and where genuine savings can be made, though sometimes it aint that simple, I've had brake linings fall off but think it was as much to do with damp storage and exceptionally wet weather as the base shoe quality on reflection. £400 on a shed will not only solve this but hopefully save me time and money in other ways as the weather does other dammage too. I aint offended btw. Afford is a funny term, means different things to different folks. I tend do do without even if I can afford as there is always another bill lurking around the corner, but if bargins arise I buy even if not needed, means the bikes I like cost very little to run as even engines are there on the shelf.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 11:28:44 PM »
hels are easy and you don't need anything special to get to manufactures spec, a vice and a long screwdriver  is all you need and lacing them in the right order

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal