Author Topic: Alternator problem (maybe)  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Alternator problem (maybe)
« on: May 17, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »
I have the 500K not charging. Now on a three phase system you check between the yellow wires for a reading. Everything seems fine. So i checked between the white and green, ok. But i have a signal between all wires and ground. I know on modern bikes this is a problem but, is it a problem on these old girls??? 

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Alternator problem (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:27:22 PM »
Is it a 500/4 k, if so  ,there, should not be any resistance between any of the yellow wires and ground. If there is it is usually  due to breakdown of insulation of the laquered 'magnet' copper wire. I had 2 400/4 stators fail in this mode, back in the day. I think it's because they don't run in oil like the twins/CB750 and you can get corrosion of the laminated steel part.

Cheers .... AshD
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:28:55 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 07:38:42 PM »
Cheers Ash, just wanted to double check.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 11:35:04 PM »
On the US site I put up an e Honda document explaining the 3 phase charging circuit PM me your emaail addy again (I don't keep them!) and i will send you a jpeg copy

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »
Quote from: Bryanj link=topic=6619.msg36312#msg3631
2 date=1400366104
On the US site I put up an e Honda document explaining the 3 phase charging circuit PM me your emaail addy again (I don't keep them!) and i will send you a jpeg copy
It's a brilliant design Bryan, as it does not use brushes for the field like car versions of the time. OK it has an electromagnetic voltage reg. but hey it was probably designed in 1968.

Cheers ...  AshD 
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal