Author Topic: Anyone also own a Classic Car too?  (Read 4491 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Anyone also own a Classic Car too?
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:43:03 AM »
My resto's are always severely hampered by lack of space due to the MG Midget (crabby rubber bumper one) which has languished in my garage for 20 years. I bought it in 1986 after I finished my 400/4 resto, to 'teach myself' to MIG weld. Certainly got lots of practice on it !!  Bl**dy thing attracts the field mice from the farm opposite too !

Anyone else a 'classic' car owner too?

Cheers ...AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone also own a Classic Car too?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »
Not a Classic but a Kit car in the garage plus an L200 mitsi and a pug406 hdi to keep going!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:49:21 AM »
Not a Classic but a Kit car in the garage plus an L200 mitsi and a pug406 hdi to keep going!!

I had a 'Nova' Kit car once Bryan  (electro hydraulic canopy, NOT Vauxhall !!). Bought it for £1500 and 'flipped' it a month later for £2500 !! Sheer luck, bought it off someone I worked with who was leaving, then met someone on holiday by chance who wanted one. Next thing I knew he arrived to see it, slapped his MGB tax disc on it and disappeared to Newcastle area.

Cheers  .. Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »
I have a 1969 Series IIa Land Rover which has been in the family for decades and simply maintained and used.  Not so much a classic as a workhorse.  I suppose it has become classic by default.  Sadly, as with all these things, too many people are collecting them now which means some spare parts are slowly becoming expensive.  It is extremely easy to repair any part of it with the simplest of tools. 

(the tree is not resting on the roof!)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:12:00 AM by florence »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »
I had a 1953 Standard Vanguard until a few years ago. My dad gave it to me many many years ago along with a Council garage to store it in, it had 3 gears, bench seats and column change. weighed over 2 tons and was so solid I could hit the paintwork with a hammer and not leave a mark. Even had those indicators where a little arrow would stick out of the side of the cars between the front doors.

It sat in the garage for over 35 years on bricks, water drained etc, I wanted some space to work on a mini I was restoring so I used the cranking handle to wind the car out of the garage and put the mini in, I went for dinner and when I came back some tosser had nicked it. Seems some scrap dealer spotted it and hoisted it onto the back of a wagon with a HIAB, never did find it and never knew if it had been sold or scrapped. Might search the reg number and see if it's still on the road somewhere.

Yes I remember that model, my stepfather had one in the '60's 1949 (first year) with a beetle back. Same engine as early TR's I think.

Thought this was a bike forum  ;D Oh dear I instigated this discussion  ;)

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:15:42 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »
 Classic Ford Mexico mk1 1971 and a not so classic UVA fugitive 2, built it back in 1994, still going strong in Greece. Can't even remember the last time i started the Mexico up. At the moment building a Dakar 4x4, should be on the road sometime this year.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »
I went to Rockford USA,  a few years ago on a business trip and a Brit guy, who had emigrated out there, and bought a TR3A to restore as he had to leave his Vitesse 2L in the UK. Three of us went for a meal and an american guy who worked with us, was lamenting his long lost TR2. So I said that the ex Brit guy had the TR3A. With that he gave away the TR3A  to the american guy for nothing! Should have kept my trap shut  ::)

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:21:16 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 01:26:08 AM »
89 mini
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 07:41:06 AM »
Herald 13/60 convertible

jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 07:50:21 AM »
Herald 13/60 convertible

Nice one Ewan.. If I was going to buy another classic car, that's what I would buy as they seem really practical. Or is that just rose coloured specs again  :)

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:52:19 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 08:02:52 AM »
Thought this was a bike forum  ;D Oh dear I instigated this discussion  ;)

::) and I want a  classic 1275 mini cooper s and a three litre capri mk1 again now  ;) and I thought I had enough junk too get on with

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »
Herald 13/60 convertible

Nice one Ewan.. If I was going to buy another classic car, that's what I would buy as they seem really practical. Or is that just rose coloured specs again  :)

Cheers ... AshD

Really could be doing with selling it Ash, need the space its taking up. Its a bit like a bike with 4 wheels ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:22:57 AM by Ewan 500 K1 »

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »
LOL Memories. Does the Herald still have the reserve tank like a motorcycle? or was that just a feature of certain models of them.

if it has I wish I'd known last week when I ran outa petrol... :) ... nah mine doesnt.   Found a washing machine for that laundry room of yours though ....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:08:02 PM by Ewan 500 K1 »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »
1960 2.0d landrover s2. Currently running a 2.25d due to the costs of spares for the 2.0, though much like my 500/4 all the original bits are hoarded so it can return to matching numbers factory speck if required. Also like the bike it is a workhorse that also happens to be classic. The landrover runs haybalers and mowers and all other manner of toys via a power take off. It featured in one of the landrover mags in Jan 2012 too mainly as so few pto landrovers get used for serious work rather than showing but also because the 2.0d it was then running is a rare beast in itself let alone still in its original vehicle and not a factory recon.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 06:45:37 PM »
Had a Triumph Herald and then a Viteese 2 litre many years ago, now gone due to rust...but they did have a reserve facility...the fuel tank was on the drivers side of the boot with the reserve lever on top of the tank?
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal