Author Topic: Clutch adjustment problems  (Read 3083 times)

rich

Clutch adjustment problems
« on: August 09, 2006, 03:12:32 AM »
Was wondering if anyone can help with a clutch problem.  I change the clutch in a 750 and the springs seem to be compressing to far and the throw out bearing won't reach the clutch when engaged.  I have torqued the plate to the proper torque, but it bottoms out against the back side of the pressure plate.  The way it looks to me is the springs should hold the throw out bearing off, so ther is no metal to metal contact.  The spring measurement is long enough according to the book.   Do these springs lose there tension?
Help!  
Thanks Rich

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Re:Clutch adjustment problems
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 01:28:53 PM »
Hi Rich,

Is this an early clutch, all the ones I've seen are for the F1,

I would have thought that even if the springs were on the weak, while the engine was not running clutch operation would still work.

Dumb question coming......

You have the correct number of friction and plain plates. don't you?

I had a look in the Haynes, and the reassembly looks a lot more complicated on the earlier clutches
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

rich

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 02:38:32 PM »
John, Thanks for the reply.  There is the correct amount of plates, etc.  It appears to me that the springs are compressing to far and don,t have enough resistance to hold the torque.  However the spring measure well over the static measurement.  I don't know if they had a problem with these springs not holding there value.  This is a 1974, and it is a simple change or so I thought.  Any help would be greatly accepted.
Thanks Rich

3Rydez

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 04:40:41 PM »
I'm having the same problem with my 1974 CB750 clutch. Anyone have any ideas.

rich

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:52:30 PM »
I ask some other people about this clutch problem and the mechanic from Walneck's (US mag) came up with the answer.  You have to rotate the clutch plates on the four screws and spring and somehow this works.  They all appear to be the same in every manner (size etc), but for some reason this is the answer.  If you can't get the adjustment, just remove the clutch and pressure plate and rotate it a quarter turn and try it again, and a quarter turn and try(you get the idea).  I personally still can't believe this had worked, but it did.  Hope this helps you!!!  Rich autotinman@zoominternet.net

3Rydez

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:00:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I have new clutch springs and clutch plates coming. Haven't had time to try rotating the clutch plates. Thanks again for the responce.

rich

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 01:36:37 AM »
I don't know if I told you properly.  You are not rotating the clutch discs but the assembly they go into.  On the four bolts with the pressure springs.  You can make four adjustments(movements). You can measure your springs to see if they are the corerect length static.  Rich

godzilla

Re: Clutch adjustment problems
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 11:36:19 PM »
i we talking about turning the lifter plate plate  a quarter turn,then moving each individual spring with it as well?
also does the funny shaped lock nut need to @ 32 ft.lbs of torque,and where can i find this socket?it is strange and i like it but i cannot find one

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal