Author Topic: Not sure about new bike's identity!  (Read 2675 times)

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Not sure about new bike's identity!
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:40:31 PM »
I've just bought a project bike (apologies, it's a CB750 dohc) but there was no paperwork as it was advertised as a 'barn find'.

My concern is I can't find a VIN number on the frame and there are no registration plates. Is it possible to track or trace it from the engine number and if so can anyone point me in the right direction to do this?
DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR ON THE INTERNET - Abe Lincoln 1857

Current
1980 CB750 dohc - a new headache in my life :-)

Previous
1977 CB750 cafe racer, gone but not forgotten!
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure about new bike's identity!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »
Hi I don't think it possible to identify your bike from the engine number? you may have to clean the paint off the frame to find the vin number if there is one? or are there any old tax disc's on the bike with the reg number on? cheers Mick.

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »
Hi Mick,

No numbers at all on the frame, this is a 1980 bike (apparently) and the details are normally on an adhesive panel or tag on the head stock, but that appears to have been removed for powder coating.

Suspect it's a trip to the local cop shop to find out if it's actually registered on their database for any nefarious reason!

Current

Previous
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
Mick is right. You need to find a VIN number or you will have to find another frame. Can not do anything without a VIN Paul.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:41:40 PM »
Paul, the police will only be able to tell you if the engine is reported stolen because that is the only number you have.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
Hi Paul if it's been powdercoated chances are your number is hidden under the powdercoat, your right about the frame number being on a separate panel but it should also be stamped into the headstock,  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »
Hi Paul if it's been powdercoated chances are your number is hidden under the powdercoat, your right about the frame number being on a separate panel but it should also be stamped into the headstock,  ;) cheers Mick.

I have  a  '69 CB250K0 frame and it has no numbers on the headstock, it must have been a replacement frame. Agree that without a log book with the number in it you will have a problem. If you found a scrap frame (rusted out/bent)  but with V5, and you have a blank frame you could stamp the numbers into it or fit Honda VIN plate and it may be legal. Bryan will know more I am sure.

Cheers ...AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »
Without doubt Ash dont know where he gets it all
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

ka-ja

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »
Hi,
     My 400/4 had the number stamped on the frame just forward of the tank mounting spigot, my mates was stamped vertically on the near-side of the headstock, there is a lot of powder coat to ruin if the position varies bike to bike!   ken

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 06:21:11 AM »
Moral Yes, Legal Hmmmmmm, but no tell no know!!!.

Honda always stamped a number on a production frame but not on a Parts frame so you could try saying thats its been rebuilt into a replacement NOS frame. DVLA would be able to trace the engine number but the only people they will do it for is Plod and remember if the bike is knicked and plod get at it you loose the bike and your money mate

If i can find my genuine Honda workshop manual it may tell me where to look for the number
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:31:48 AM by Bryanj »

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 06:40:04 AM »
Well finally found the number, someone had (wait for it) carefully filled it in with body filler, sanded it off and painted over  :o

So alarm bells ringing I found someone who would trace the reg from the frame VIN. Now the plot thickens as apparently it doesn't appear on any HPI report so it looks like the story of it being an unregistered import could be true.

I now have two choices, apply to the DVLA for a Q plate or see if I can get more details and a letter from Honda confirming the date of manufacture, declare it as an import and try for an age related plate.

Any one on here know how I can establish the age from the frame VIN RC04-2005995 ?

Current

Previous
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »
You will have big problems if you declare it an import as you will need HMRC to say duty was paid, there are other ways but it depends on the year being before computerised documents. when i find my ID book i can give you an idea of age

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »
CB750K'79 starts at RC04-2000023 which is before the V5's syarted so if you ring me on 07795162623 after 8pm on Sunday I will tell you a way.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal