Author Topic: Questions for DSS  (Read 8445 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Questions for DSS
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:28:02 AM »
Hi,

I am putting together a list of questions to ask David Silver directly (he agreed to do this after becoming a member on here, at my request).

So far:
    1) Ash  -- Do you intend to stock more Yamiya Stuff. ( Seat components, small items like decals etc).
    2) James --- Availability of repro. HM341 exhausts
    3) UkPete --- (& Ash)  Issues on the repro CB750K0/K1 fork stanchions he sells.

NO  ::)  ... I wont ask him to reduce his prices or argue about postage.

have already asked him about who he uses for re-chroming. He has had lots of hassles with the people he has used for his 400/4 resto programme. He also told me that there is legislation coming in in about two years to ban the process.

Cheers ...AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for DSS
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:33:30 AM »
replica exhausts for CB500-4  K1-2 etc !!!

are they the HM323 ??
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:50:07 AM by Johnwebley »
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 02:50:28 PM »
Plus 1 with oddjobs comment
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
John I searched DS website and see no replica 500 exhausts, are you asking for them or asking if they are stamped 323?

I'd ask Dave that considering that shell bearings are getting harder to find each year for all models does he have any plans to find a source that can produce them. It's all well and good having replica tanks and seats available but if the engine won't go because the shells are knackered all the other stuff doesn't matter.

Will do .. I saw a few years ago that a company in Australia did undersize shells for the 750 ( I think CBX1000 ones are the same too). Questionable that the crank hardening depth would stand a re-grind but someone obviously tooled up to make replacement shells.

Cheers ...AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
John I searched DS website and see no replica 500 exhausts, are you asking for them or asking if they are stamped 323?

I'd ask Dave that considering that shell bearings are getting harder to find each year for all models does he have any plans to find a source that can produce them. It's all well and good having replica tanks and seats available but if the engine won't go because the shells are knackered all the other stuff doesn't matter.

just ask if he will do replicas of the HM323 pipes,

thanks
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 06:47:59 PM »
Oddjob
Who in France is asking for them it aint me and I thought I knew most of the French on here.No alot of the Germans wil only sell to germany
So for me you are in the clear
Best of luck
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
Oddjob
Out of curiousity yes please.Bloody French are quick to buy but a git to sell to
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 11:15:08 PM »
Email sent to DSS as below:-

A while ago, you joined the SOHC UK forum and you said that you may be able to answer any questions we have via myself.

If I need to send these to someone else in your organisation please let me know.

1.Any plans to stock more Yamiya parts. Examples: K0 seat covers/foams, small items such as decals. These are really expensive to
individually import direct due to customs and shipping charges?
2.Any plans to source repro. CB500/4 HM323 silencers?
3. Any plans to source repro. CB750/4 HM341 silencers?
4.Comment from member on CB750 K0 repro fork stanchions. “I got them from DS, but if you go down that route be warned whoever he got to make these parts got it wrong you will find that the piston and valve ring do not fit as the chrome on the bottom takes the stanchion diameter out to far , I had to ream the inside of these parts so they fitted again, a proper pain”
5.Any chance of getting repro. rubber wheel for cam chain guide for CB250/350K series Part no 14500-312-000 ? I do have an ex-colleague who owns a rubber/rubber to metal bonding company. I also have access to chemical analysis of OE materials/hardness.
6.Some crankshaft bearing shells are getting rare and expensive. Can these be reproduced?
7.Any news on the planned opening date for the museum?

Best regards ....Ash

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 01:31:05 AM »
I'll second point #4 on those stanchions - what a pain. I took the more bloody difficult route as didn't want to destroy the original piston ring & valve and so took a few microns out of the chrome & thence polished. (750 K2)

On the flip side of this.... assuming David's reading... I would have otherwise been stuffed, and so thank you very much. A small price to pay...
Simon

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »
David Silver answererd as follows:-

Sent: 10 June 2014 23:11
To: David Silver
Subject: SOHC Forum Questions.

Hi David,

A while ago, you joined the SOHC UK forum  and you said that  you may be able to answer any questions we have via myself.

If I need to send these to someone else in your organisation please let me know.

1.            Any plans to stock more Yamiya parts. Examples:  K0 seat covers/foams, small items such as decals. These are really expensive to
individually import direct due to customs and shipping charges?

"No-We cannot stock any aftermarket item with the word ‘HONDA’ on it for Trade mark legal reasons".

2.            Any plans to source repro. CB500/4 HM323 silencers?

"Yes-Tooling has been made but production was transferred to Italy from China this year. This has caused severe delays".

3.            Any plans to source repro. CB750/4 HM341 silencers?

"Yes-as above but we MAY get some through end of this month".

4.            Comment from member on CB750 K0 repro fork stanchions. “I  got them from DS, but if you go down that route be warned whoever he got to
make these parts got it wrong you will find that the piston and valve ring do not fit as the chrome on the bottom takes the stanchion diameter out to far , I had to ream the inside of these parts so they fitted again, a proper pain”

"I don’t know about this, I believe that there were subtle changes by frame no on the CB750 sandcast and CB750K0-early K2. Possibly the makers have not taken that into account".

5.            Any chance of getting repro. rubber  wheel for cam chain guide  for CB250/350K series  Part no 14500-312-000 ? I do have an ex-colleague
who owns a rubber/rubber to metal bonding company. I also have access to chemical analysis of OE materials/hardness.

"Not on our program just yet as the Honda one is still available".

6.            Some crankshaft bearing shells are getting rare and expensive. Can these be reproduced?

"No, these are so size critical and we don’t currently have a factory capable of producing them"

7.            Any news on the planned opening date for the Honda  museum in Leiston, Suffolk, UK?

"Still waiting to hear back from the planning dept. If all goes well, early 2015"

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:19:01 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 06:28:10 PM »
Well it's nice of Dave to answer. Regarding the shell bearings, I wonder if the original firm who made the shells in the 70s is still in business, I don't imagine Honda produced them themselves but you never know it might have been an in house thing. If the original firm was still going it's possible they would be willing to make some more but then again it would depend on quantity being ordered whether it would be worth their while.

Just looked at an old big-end shell and there is a logo on it it looks like a  shallow C followed by a close D these have two concentric circles around them . The inside circle has a little mark in the side. It may be daido metal  http://global.daidometal.com  ( Difficult to describe but can photo with my PC microscope tomorrow). They have STD and D7C stamped in them too (from a CB750). Sure they are the same part as CBX1000 and sure that years ago, someone 'down-under' was selling 0.25mm undersize shell kits.
Cheers ...AshD

Update from K0/K1/K2/K3/K4/K5 Parts Books. OEM was definitely Daido metal (est. 1939)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:00:53 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 07:39:50 AM »
I've e-mailed Daido to see if they can reproduce them and if so how many they would need to make in order to make it a viable proposition.

Great stuff !! This is what makes this site such a  great place to visit !!

Not sure if any Honda Shells are NLA. Does anyone know?

Perhaps we need more gems of OEM suppliers so that we can research e.g. Riken -- Rings, ART   -- Pistons,  Sankei --- 400/4 exhausts (my genuine Honda 400/4 silencer has 'SANKEI' stamped into it (bought new from Honda agent in 1985), DID .. Rims etc (is Daido same company as DID?)

We need a Japanese 'Special Agent' on board! Bet the Yamiya guy knows everything. Evidently he has a first issue CB750 Sandcast Part Book from '69 with ton's of scribbling in it, with gems of info.

Cheers ... Ash D

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 08:16:24 PM »
Ash, just wanted to say thanks for co-ordinating these questions for DSS. Glad to hear the Hm341 reps are due in soon.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »
+1 I never remember to ask him anything when I do there. ::)

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 06:50:20 AM »
No Problem.

Any more questions just post and I will gather a few up and ask again. Shame he cant't stock Yamiya seats though because of the 'HONDA' logo. I wonder how Yamiya get away with it? They also seem to tap into the OEM suppliers for repro's, like the cut 750K0 front mudguard etc. Suppose it's mainly because they are in Japan.

I think we need further clarification on the 750K0 stanchions issue though. Perhaps David would allow us to talk with the manufacturer or forward our findings to the manufacturers.

Anyone know the history behind the people at Yamiya?

Cheers ... AshD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal