Author Topic: Off Topic ... Grinder Gearbox Grease  (Read 1218 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Off Topic ... Grinder Gearbox Grease
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »
Loads of my stuff was trashed in the floods in Dec 2013 (1.2m of river water in the workshop ! plus fish!)  but I was determined to recover my trusty Makita mini grinder and hammer drill as they are great bits of kit. Rebuilt them with new bearings etc but I can't find the right grease to repack the gearboxes!

Anyone any ideas on what to use. The proper stuff is 'Makita grease SG. No.0' but I can't find it in the UK. I tried high temp grease but it just got flung off. The proper stuff is really 'sticky' stuff.

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Binman180

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic ... Grinder Gearbox Grease
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:49:44 PM »
Hi Ash,

At work, We had to use Rocol HT70 bearing grease (it's a high temp grease) for lubricating some stainless studding (I dunno, Customers orders, We'll probably never use it again), The stuff is ludicrously sticky and noone likes using it because it gets everywhere and sticks like crap. I've just got some on my hand from looking at the tub for you and I'm still struggling to get it off.

It's also very thick like treacle so whether or not it's suitable I don't know but maybe worth a look?

EDIT: Just looked at the website and it says it's for slow speed applications only, Sorry. I just picked the tub up, read what it was and put it down again not wanting to hold it or touch it for longer than I had to haha.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:54:45 PM by Binman180 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal