Author Topic: Wheel lacing...  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Wheel lacing...
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »
Just laced up my first wheel today.... satisfying, easy'ish... and likely saved £300 I guess. The actual lacing / tru'ing probably took a little over 2 hours. But... the next will be quicker!

Not presenting this as 'the only way to do it'... but it worked for me.

(1) Get hold of a solid / flat piece of wood, 22"x22" minimum.... an old kitchen unit door?
(2) drill an 1/8" hole in its centre.
(3) Scribe a circle onto the wood the exact outside diameter of your new rim. I used a hack-saw blade drilled out at the appropriate average radius of my DSS DID rim.
(4) Open up the centre hole (using a suitable hole saw) above so that the hub 'boss' drops in @ a snug fit... no play allowed. (Or any suitable method to 'clamp' your hub to the centre of the scribed circle)
(5) Insert all spokes into the hub and loosely lace up the wheel using the other Wheel as a reference. (or good photos). Only put 3 or 4 turns on each nipple. Use both the flat wood & stand the wheel up for this... whatever suits. (insert spokes from the outside in & lace these up first, and then insert the other 1/2 of spokes from the inside-out & lace up)
(6) With the rim now sloppily laced to the hub lay the whole lot into  the wood 'jig'.
(7) Place 'spacers' under the rim to raise it to the correct height to the hub. (For some reason this pic is upside down until opened up!)
(8) Manoeuvre the rim to sit as exactly as possible within the scribed circle... there will be a fair amount of leeway at the point.
(9) Now finger tighten / nip up all the nipples. The hard yards are done: the rim should be both laterally & radially pretty much 'there'.
(10) Assemble the hub completely, and mount onto the bike.
(11) Grab a cuppa tea, put radio on, lie next to the bike and stick a strip of masking tape across any two points... I used the front stays in the below pic. (... and this pic is on its side!)
(12) Radial adjustment (making it circular). Spin the wheel slowly... and tighten / loosen spoke nipples accordingly. Move the tape as you really get the tolerances down. You're aiming for abouts 0.03" or just <1mm. Doable... with a bit of patience
(13) Axial play... on the tape draw vertical 'boundary' lines to coincide with the rim width. Adjust the nipples (ie tighten one side / loosen the other) to pull the rim to one side or the other. Again, not as difficult as you'd imagine.
(14) spin the wheel more & recheck that radial play / adjust if necessary.
(15) ditto axial play.
(16) Just about done...ping all spokes with a screwdriver and check all give a nice ring.  Any dull 'thunks' and that spoke needs tightening up. (and possibly a recheck of radial / axial plays)
(17) Treat yourself to something with the £300 saved...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:10:57 PM by Lobo »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel lacing...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:15:32 PM »
Nice job Lobo. Long way round. Are you saying that someone quoted you 300 for two wheels to be laced? Have you got the tank back yet?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 06:59:41 AM »
Wow Lobo, respect to you, i will be attempting several wheels myself, i get my inspiration from others like yourself who make it look so easy well done
pete

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:35:24 AM »
Thanks gents... yup Trig, appreciate it might be the 'long way round' ... but at this point I'm 100% novice and reckon the wooden board starting point was well worth the effort in terms of getting the wheel basically 'there'.

As for the £300... can't remember exactly... though the figure of £150'ish / wheel was in my mind. All the hidden costs too... petrol, courier (don't talk to me about this!).... and TIME.

A dial indicator would have been nice... an article I read tho' said 0.03" good for <90mph. The masking tape worked a treat due it very visibly 'folding up' at any high spots. I reckon I'm <1mm in the radial (up down play)

Oh, and BIG tip of the day... don't dismantle both wheels together... photos are ok, but nothing like just referring to the other wheel.

PS Trig... nope, still not got the tank back.  When I joined this forum (with just the one bike) I was taken aback at the list of bloody machines folk appended to their posts. Well, now I know... In my experience only 1/3 of 'em will be roadworthy @ any one time... I'm down to one @ the mo and beginning to panic...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:43:23 AM by Lobo »

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:44:01 AM »
Really nice write-up Lobo, thanks for this.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:08:30 AM »
Lobo, 0.03 is very good if that is your first time. I will keep my mouth shut on what my first lacing job looked like. It wouldn't of pasted a flintstone MOT but, that was 30 years ago. I did notice that someone was selling new wheel balancing stands on fleabay cheap.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 03:21:38 PM »
Nice write up Lobo,

I have just dropped off the wheels & other item's to be re-chromed (CD 175 sloper) with the intention of having the wheels professionally re-built.

I'm now going to have a go myself

Thanks

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 11:17:01 PM »
I've got to be honest here... just visited a wheel building website who charge £160'ish (+ VAT I think) per wheel build... which includes the spokes. The labour only charge is abouts £70 / wheel; apologies ... I gave duff info regarding savings.

Not that it changes anything personally... its more about the accomplishment.
Simon

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 02:07:05 PM »
I would be happy to lace your wheels. i have done my own for many years. post would cost you though as i live in Gloucester.
Billy 
Thanks
Billy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal