Author Topic: Rebore  (Read 1178 times)

80s ALAN

Rebore
« on: June 27, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
Hi everybody, I am new to your forum :D. I have recently finished my last project (1983 Yamaha XV700) Sorry to swear !! and am now in the process of making my 1977 cb550 in a cafe racer. I am having the cylinders rebored to +0.25mm and the workshop which is carrying out this job want to know the clearances :-\ Can anybody help me with these figures?  BTY great forum, lots of sound advise has already been digested  ;D

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Rebore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 06:57:19 PM »
Hi Alan and welcome,With respects to your re bore are you sure of these guys?In my day you supplied a o/s piston and they did the rest they should know the clearances.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:18:32 PM »
use someone who knows what they are doing, for example, I have always been very pleased with Piston Broke engineering in Bristol.  The chap there knows more than you could ever imagine.  I once asked him to bore out an Indian Scout 741to fit Indian Chief pistons and he did the job using the original liners.  It took days to take out all the metal but it worked a treat.  The man is a genius. 

He also did the rebore on my 500/4 back in 1995.  He suggested I run in very very carefully as he rebored it very tightly.  He considered it a waste to go out to the sloppy tolerences that a lot of people use.  He was spot on; nearly twenty years on it still doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »
Welcome Alan. Give the workshop the pistons and the barrels. And the should bore it out to size.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 10:53:16 PM »
Std bore is 58.5 so your 1st oversize is 58.75. In all the years i have never had a Honda supplied piston vary in size from what it should be by any measurable amount

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal