Author Topic: CB750F SS rear master cylinder probs  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
CB750F SS rear master cylinder probs
« on: June 28, 2014, 03:29:18 PM »
Hi… 

I've just about finished tearing down a CB750F SS to build it back up with a Cafe Racer look…  Not done this before and obviously with it being an old bike coming across lots of screws, nuts etc. which will need some work to undo. 

Anyoldhow…  What i've come across now is something that's stumped me a little.  The Circlip / snap ring retaining the rear master cylinder piston has corroded (as have the push rod and adjusting nuts etc) so there is no purchase for circlip pliers to aid removal. 

Anyone any advice to get the little bugger out as i'm worried i'll ruin master cylinder by levering out cir clip??  Or is it a case of trying to find another complete master cylinder?

Many thanks.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB750F SS rear master cylinder probs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
Small sturdy scewdriver, that is what i used when i had the same problem, i used it to chase out the grove along with remains of rusty clip, there is not much you can damage there, it is the bore above all that which is to be kept smooth and clean, give it a go and if not good old ebay will be sure to have a spare
pete

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
Cheers pete,  I'll crack on, I was on the right lines….

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 02:38:28 AM »
With the master cyl in a vice push the piston in as far as it will go and hold it there then use a blowtorch to warm up the circlip in the hole, this will remove all the corrosion and make it eadier to get out and as you are presumably stripping it to reseal any heat damage to the rubber bits don't matter.

Once stripped 8-10 front masters in various states of crapped up in less thatn an hour doing it this way

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »
Cheers gents…

I managed to leaver the corroded circlip out easy as an easy thing (Thanks pete).  So that managed to separate the push rod from the body / piston and not to much DOT 4 in the eye!!  I thought I try and save it even though it looked beyond hope!  left it over night in a jar of apple vinegar!  It did the trick regarding stripping away the rust, plus a couple of minutes with a mini wire brush.  Then I treated it to some WD40 for twenty minutes and whacked some heat on it….  It worked!!!!

Now I'm after the repair kit.  No one's stocking at the mo except for a dutch business.  So I'll hopefully see tomorrow when DS will re-stock…  otherwise it's £70 plus from Holland!!!

Also managed to remove three knarled up screws using drill and torx bit…  bloody brilliant advice!

So cheers gents!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal