Author Topic: 400-4 Engine rebuilt  (Read 4293 times)

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
400-4 Engine rebuilt
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:55:04 PM »
Hi,

With the invaluable help of members of this forum I have completely stripped and rebuilt my 1976 400-4 engine - and she lives again! It all started with some weird grinding noises (not to mention cam chain chatter and primary chain slap) and the urge to remove all the horrible paint/lacquer that was peeling and  generally looking a right mess.  So she was stripped right down (and soda blasted) and the primary chain replaced (along with the cushion rubbers as advised on this forum) plus the cam chain was replaced together with the adjuster arm (a new one from DS as mine was completely seized and worn away),plus the slippers.  All the engine seals were replaced, but the bearing shells all looked fine so they have stayed.  At the top end I replaced the piston rings (all were well outside tolerances despite being 1mm o/s rings - so clearly at least one rebore in its time (indeed it was clear that the barrels have been off - but I dont think the bottom end has been touched in its 38 years). I also replaced all the valves as virtually all were hammered - literally.  They looked as if they had been ground, but I suspect in doing this the hardened 'crust' have been removed meaning that the tappets have been slowly wearing into them (I replaced the tappets too) -so they looked pitted.  And valve seals of course.  Something I spotted when putting the rockers back in (and not mentioned in the original workshop manual that I am fortunate to have) was where the springs that keep the rockers apart should go.  If you get them wrong the tappets dont quite line up properly with the valves - I noticed that the way around that they had been mean that was indeed the case and I wonder whether that too lead to undue hammering of the valve stems (perhaps an expert can comment on that?).  I just looked through my photos of the strip - and annoyingly didnt take a pic so cant show you which way around I have them now!  I have just balanced the carbs (I did also strip the carbs and cleaned them, one float was 'sticky' due to the hinge pin being slightly bent and this meant I used to pour fuel over the floor if I forgot to switch off the fuel tap - not any more!) - and she's running sweet as a nut.  So - ready, I think, for an MOT next week.  I have to say I am well chuffed having never done more engine fettling than replace a GT380 piston many, many years ago when I inadvertently holed it after fitting expansion pipes without re-jetting!).  I have absolutely loved it.  Yes there have been frustrating moments - but I've said before (and I wont stop saying it -so tough!) that this forum has helped me no end.  Its so good to look at (and listen to) a sweetly running engine and to think I have stripped it right down, replaced stuff that needs replacing, rebuilt it .. and it works!  I plan to do more over the years - but this one will always be the special one.  And to celebrate I attach a gratuitous shot of said bike as she is now and a few of the many, many in progress shots.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 400-4 Engine rebuilt
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:38:42 PM »
Well done on diving in there, glad it all works again sweetly, and long may it continue to do so (Change the oil and filter regularly and no reason it shouldn't) ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »
Many thanks  ;D

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
Thats great work Dayvw, i bet your well chuffed,
pete

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
well done mate, I am nearly there with my 500!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 07:07:58 AM »
Thanks both - Pete I am indeed, and Mick I hope the first press of that starter (or swing of leg) is as satisfying as mine was.  My better half (and daughter) insisted on witnessing that first start-up.  I warned them it may be a disappointment ... but after a heart stopping whirr of starter motor and no firing - one started, then three ... then all four.  Not smooth then (I hadn't done the dynamic timing at the stage and the carbs weren't balanced) .. but a beautiful sound that I hadn't heard for some 8 months.  And my better half and daughter clapping and saying stuff like "we knew you could do it!".  Fan tas tic  ;D  ;D

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »
Nice job, another SOHC back on the road.

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »
Thanks Trigger .. and .. indeed!

Offline hondatri

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 07:54:42 PM »
Well done I had been tinkering with the Idea of Doing my CB400 engine( I have done 2 Triumph engines a 70 T100 and 63 T21) Your write up has encouraged me  I will keep the forum  informed on Progress.

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
Heartwarming stuff Davy,

I reckon I'm about 3 months behind you... lots of cleaned and vapour blasted bits back home and a room full of new spares to start putting it all back together. With a following wind I might have it done and reported on this site (hopefully as a runner) by, er, winter!!!

Cheers, D.
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 02:56:48 PM »
You didn't say which year!

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »
Ah, thus speaks the voice of experience, eh?
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 07:40:09 AM »
Good luck Drew .. I'm sure the rebuild and subsequent riding will bring you the immense pleasure it's brought me.  If anyone spends any time around and over exmoor, around Lyndon and lynmouth and surrounds and sees a red 400-4 being ridden by a middle aged bloke with a massive grin .. that'll be me  :)   :)

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »
Looking good! Well done. A mate and I are doing a little tour of the west country in September. So I'll keep an eye our you. In fact maybe see you at Japfest at the Haynes museum?!
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 07:55:43 AM »
Thanks lynx .. And indeed you may (well prompted .. meant to go last year and missed it !)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal