Author Topic: DID Rims  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
DID Rims
« on: June 30, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »
Ladies / Gents..

Just removed this DID Rim from my 400F.... can anyone confirm it's an original, and whether its worth re-chroming versus buying the current DSS DID rims ?

Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:56:05 PM by Lobo »

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: DID Rims
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »
Looks very similar to mine, but I will check later for you...
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:20:56 AM »
Rechroming costs can often work out quite a bit higher than buying new, and sometimes the results can be rather disappointing. Personally I would always go for a new replacement if it is still available, use rechroming strictly for things you can no longer find new:))

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:22:49 AM »
If it does not have the additional verbage on the rim ... probably original.

Here is what David Silver had to say in January this year about the three types of rims he sells. (Current production 'OEM' DID ones have the additional 'verbage' on them though).

"David Silver Spares wrote: "Hi Ashley Derrick, Here is my Response : DID rims; definitely the Rolls Royce of wheel rims and suppliers to Honda as original equipment rims. Of course, these are the most expensive but we stock them for all SOHC's. Union Cycle rims; Made in Thailand, quality OK, have had some CB400F's where the holes needed reaming out slightly. OK for a wheel builder to build, tricky for individuals if this is found. Only available for smaller bikes up to CB400F, have used them many times on our own CB400F restorations. Sumitomo rims: The 'Lada' rim, fits, works but the joins are crude (agricultural) and the chrome is not the best. Chinese made but to be fair, a price to match and if you don't intend to fit it to a show bike but one that will get occasional use in Summer, this rim will be fine. Only available for CB500-750's. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for and by keeping 3 brands we are trying to suit all requirements and pockets."

Hope this helps ... AshD   (BTW pretty sure CB250/350 K, G CB360 rims are the same)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:26:02 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »
Lobo, the problem with re-chroming old rims is that they rust from the inside out. To have a rim tripple plated can cost £120 and there is no guarantee. New DID rims can be bought from Wydebike for £79.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »
Lobo, the problem with re-chroming old rims is that they rust from the inside out. To have a rim tripple plated can cost £120 and there is no guarantee. New DID rims can be bought from Wydebike for £79.

what make are they from Wylebike?

cheers .. .AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »
Is it a bit early for you Ash. "New DID rims can be bought from Wydebike for £79". ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
Is it a bit early for you Ash. "New DID rims can be bought from Wydebike for £79". ;)
Not sure what size's they have left but, they where selling D.I.D rims off cheap last week.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:20:50 AM »
Thanks everyone... particularly Ash for that info.

Have now been onto DSS & ordered 2 new DID rims... if I've paid a few quid more then so be it as I'll have 'em tomorrow & with no fuss.

More lacing up to do! (2nd CB750 wheel took about the hour... such a kick to spin it & see zip wobble etc. VERY satisfying...)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
Bit later now in the day .. so up to speed now .... ::)

Cheers  ..  Ash

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal