Author Topic: CB400F Rear Wheel Cushs  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
CB400F Rear Wheel Cushs
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »
Evening all...

Wanting to replace the (4) cushs in the rear hub of the '400F. Know when I'm beaten... snd have handed over the hub to an engineering firm for the previous inhabitants extraction (& polishing).

But, wanting hints & tips on inserting the new pieces on the hub's return. Am adept at removing / replacing the various bearings.. more of the same? What might I use as a drift? (old cushs are likely to be drilled / milled out, ie destroyed)

Ta,
Simon
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:01:18 PM by Lobo »

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
Re: CB400F Rear Wheel Cushs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:21:30 PM »
I got the old ones out by drilling and cutting the rubber away to release the centre tube part.
Then used a hacksaw blade to carefully cut the outer shell on one side allowing it to be folded in and extracted with pliers. Half an hour each I think it took ... Maybe an hour for the first one !

Put the new cushes in using a suitablly sized socket as a drift to evenly bear on the outer part. Many gentle taps woth a hammer to seat each one.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:25:34 PM »
I just used a suitable size socket to drive them, in fairly easy as I recall. Removing the old ones was a bit of a barsteward, I heated an old long screwdriver to more or less red hot to burn out the rubber and then pulled out the the centre. The outer I cut with a hacksaw blade, once cut just closed it up and pulled it out. Fair to say if did take a while but I can't really think of another way without a milling machine or the hub in a lathe.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
Simon, i have used heavy duty expansion/anchor bolts and attached a slide hammer. Should come out easy with a bit of heat

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:24:31 AM »
Thanks all... it seems, as generally always, within the capability of the average home garage.
As mentioned Trig, I've left the polishing shop to extract them... but I do like your idea of the expansion bolt - never thought of the one. As for the hacksaw idea... wow, assumed a hard shell + wondered about how to get full depth to the cut, let alone the careful patience required...

I have a Seadoo jet boat whose plastic impeller wear rings you (bloody regularly) remove this way... over the years the old hack saw has invariably, um 'marked', the casings. Boat... don't care... but Honda!!!

Offline steven400/4

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
burn the rubber out with blow gun the with the metal outer ring i knock a pointed screwdriver down the side bent it in then just pull them out putting back loads of copper slip a socket and a vice job done
cb400f2 x7
honda ss 50
gsx 1400

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal